Unanswered: Open Multiple Instances of Report While Using OpenArgs

When I only needed to open a single instance of a report, I could use the OpenReport method, which offers the option to set the OpenArgs property at the same time. Then I can have some code fire on the report's formatting event to take the OpenArgs, parse them out, and apply the values to various text boxes on the form. It works sufficiently well.

Now I need to use the same report, but let the user open multiple instances. As I understand it, the best way to open multiple instances of a report is to use the Set statement along with the New keyword (though I believe Allen Browne has a thing or two to say about this). I have tried the following code:
    Code:
    Dim rptX as Report

'event fire

'do stuff

Set rptX = New Report_rptName
        rptX.OpenArgs = strOpenArgs
        rptX.SetFocus
    But this appears to open the report before allowing for the OpenArgs property to be set. Is it possible to create multiple instances of a report while being able to utilize the OpenArgs property? If not, can anyone suggest a way to get around the OpenArgs property (other than storing the OpenArgs in a temp table, opening the report and pulling these table values)?
    Me.Geek = True

For anyone else's reference, after doing some more digging I found this forum posting. Still don't have a nice solution, but I'll keep working on it.
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 14
    I've found this in an application I wrote quite a long time ago:

1. In an independent module:
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Public clnClient As New Collection  'Instances of rptClient.

Declare Function CloseWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long) As Long
    Declare Function DestroyWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long) As Long
    Declare Function MoveWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal x As Long, _
        ByVal Y As Long, ByVal nWidth As Long, ByVal nHeight As Long, ByVal bRepaint As Long) As Long

Function OpenAClient(ReportCaption As String, ReportFilter As String)
        '
        'Purpose:   Open an independent instance of Report New_Delivery_Schedule.
        '
        Dim rpt As Report

Set rpt = New Report_New_Delivery_Schedule
        rpt.Filter = ReportFilter
        rpt.FilterOn = True
        rpt.Visible = True
        rpt.Caption = ReportCaption
        clnClient.Add Item:=rpt, Key:=CStr(rpt.hWnd)
        Set rpt = Nothing

End Function

Function CloseAllClients()

'Purpose: Close all instances in the clnClient collection.
        'Note: Leaves the copy opened directly from database window.

Dim lngKt As Long
        Dim lngI As Long
        Dim hWnd As Long
        Dim Action As Long

On Error Resume Next
        lngKt = clnClient.Count
        For lngI = 1 To lngKt
            hWnd = CLng(clnClient(1).hWnd)
            Action = DestroyWindow(hWnd)
            clnClient.Remove 1
        Next

End Function
    2. To open an instance of the report:
    Code:
                   strCriteria = "FilterID = " & Index
                    strSQLFilter = DLookup("Filter", "New_Schedule_Filters", strCriteria)
                    strRptName = DLookup("Name", "New_Schedule_Filters", strCriteria)
                    strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Schedule_Source WHERE " & strSQLFilter
                    If GetRecordCount(strSQL) > 0 Then
                        OpenAClient strRptName, strSQLFilter
                    End If
    You should be able to adapt it to your needs.
    Have a nice day!

Hey Sinndho,

I tried taking what you did and adapting it for my own needs (it looked a little like Allen Browne's code that I had tried earlier). But I'm still getting a fatal error whenever I try to open a second instance of a particular report; I don't suppose you have any idea what might cause this error, where I can start looking?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error.bmp  
    Me.Geek = True

I've got it figured out (after debugging for a bit, and more than one angry fist-shake at the computer)! For all of you who are interested, here it is:

To get around the OpenArgs issue (the original issue), just simply use a Public Variable, set this before opening an instance of your report, and then have your report look at this variable rather than the OpenArgs argument. Someone may have a cleaner approach, but this worked out best for me.

As for the fatal error above, turns out it was some .Printer settings I had running on the OnOpen event of the report to force the right page size, orientation, margins, etc. (some of my user's were having reports seemingly-randomly change their page size to bizzare sizes, so I had done this earlier). Turns out it still works to do this on the first instance of the report that I open, but on subsequent errors it sends up the fatal error. So I added some code to check if the instance was the first one of the collection, if so, then do the same formatting, otherwise move along:
    Code:
        Set rpt = New Report_rptName
        TwipsPerInch = 1440

If clnReport.Count <= 1 Then
            With rpt.Printer
                .PaperSize = acPRPSLetter
                .Orientation = acPRORLandscape
                .TopMargin = 0.5 * TwipsPerInch
                .BottomMargin = 0.5 * TwipsPerInch
                .LeftMargin = 0.5 * TwipsPerInch
                .RightMargin = 0.5 * TwipsPerInch
            End With
        End If
    Hope that helps for anyone with a similar problem. Thanks for the help Sinndho!
    Last edited by nckdryr; 02-08-10 at 15:38.
    Me.Geek = True

You're welcome and I'm glad you could solve the problem!
    Have a nice day!

Interesting post and solution.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Ran into a small problem regarding sub-reports with this technique:

When using the docmd.openreport... method I would set the subreport's recordsource on the OnOpen event, and it worked grand. Now that I'm trying to open multiple instances of a report, I get the attached error 2191 (I haven't changed the subreport's OnOpen code at all). When I debug, the error fires on the line:
    Code:
    If intCallCount = 0 Then Me.RecordSource = strSQL
    I can't figure out why Any ideas?
    Me.Geek = True

At first sight and as far as I can understand, this happens because though you create several instances of the main report, each on these instances try to open the same an only one instance of the subreport.

If this is the case (I still need to verify my assertion), this means that Access is launching the Open event of the (same) subreport more than once, which triggers the 2191 error ("You can't set the recordsource property after printing has started").
    Have a nice day!

I thought it had something to do with that as well. But consider this: Say we call the report in question "rptA", and it's respective subreport "rptAsub", where rptAsub is a multi-record report that, say, lists all the affected customers for rptA. Then say we have "rptB" that has a subreport called "rptBsub", which is simply a chart on the report; using the same aforementioned technique for both to open multiple instances, I can open multiple instances of rptB, but not of rptA.

I have verified this to be true, and it simply baffles me. I'm sure it has something to do with what you suggest Sinndho, but I'm just not sure how to fix it. Is it possible to create multiple instances of the problematic subreport and tie an instance to an instance of the parent report?
    Me.Geek = True

Creating multiple instances of the subreport was precisely what I was thinking about. Unfortunately I don't have a usable solution right now, just some ideas of paths that need to be explored.

As for why you can open multiple instances of the report that uses "rptbsub", the first thing that comes to my mind is that "rptBsub" does not iterate through a dataset in order to print one row at a time, but performs some kind of global data processing prior to produce any graphic object.

Once more these ideas are just speculations and I need to test and (in)validate the hypothesis.
    Have a nice day!