Unanswered: Connection problem same time everyday

Hi Guys

We use Argent to alert us to various problems and potential problems on our system.

Now one of our databases has been responsible for the following error every single morning at nearly the exact same time:
    "Failed To Connect To Oracle Database"

However, about ten minutes later the issue corrects itself, i.e. Argent is then able to connect to the ORACLE database.

Apparently there is some loading process which runs about that time in the morning when this error occurs. So this load process running is resulting in a situation where Argent is unable to connect to the ORACLE database.

The view here is that there are insufficient connections available and that the way to solve this would be to increase the number of connections possible.

Is there some parameter which can be set in the spfile (via an alter system command) which sets the number of connections which may be opened to the database? if so, i'd like to have a play with that and see if it is the issue...

thanks in advance.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >"Failed To Connect To Oracle Database"
    Oracle errors always have a code similar to ORA-00001

What code is reported?

post any clues contained in alert_SID.log
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Right, without the error number it's tough to tell. My first guess would be that this user account is associated with a PROFILE which limits the number of concurrent connections, only because this happens at the same time everyday.

There's also an INIT parm called SESSIONS, which limits the total number of concurrent sessions in the system. Although if you're running SHARED SERVERS, I'm not sure how this would actually bear out (total number of actual user "sessions", or, the total number of shread servers connected?)

--=Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent View Post
    >"Failed To Connect To Oracle Database"
    Oracle errors always have a code similar to ORA-00001

What code is reported?

post any clues contained in alert_SID.log
    This error is not recorded in the alert log. This is because the database is not aware of the attempted connect.

I have seen a similar type of error - something like "Login failed to ORACLE database" - but this one is actually reported in the alert log - with the error number.

However the error i am alluding to is not actually logged by ORACLE - only by Argent.

So i guess my question is simply then HOW do i increase the number of connections which an ORACLE database allows? It must be a parameter in the spfile, but which parameter is it?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_forbes View Post
    Right, without the error number it's tough to tell. My first guess would be that this user account is associated with a PROFILE which limits the number of concurrent connections, only because this happens at the same time everyday.

There's also an INIT parm called SESSIONS, which limits the total number of concurrent sessions in the system. Although if you're running SHARED SERVERS, I'm not sure how this would actually bear out (total number of actual user "sessions", or, the total number of shread servers connected?)

--=Chuck
    It does not have anything to so with the particular user (Argent software) since Argent successfully polls this ORACLE database hundreds of times throughout the remainder of the day. It's only at this particular time that it cannot connect.

Perhaps the SESSIONS parameter you mentioned may be insufficient to handle the connections at that particular time of the morning...

Any other ideas are welcome too.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    select SESSIONS_HIGHWATER from v$license;

Above will tell if you ever hit SESSIONS limit since DB start.

Alternatively do similar to following periodically

INSERT INTO COUNT_CAPTURE SELECT SYSDATE, COUNT FROM V$SESSION GROUP BY SYSDATE;

Above will show when peak session occurs
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 11
    Provided this problem is predictable, you can also try to see if you can connect via SQLPLUS from your own workstation to narrow down if this is a problem with the machines with the Argent software, or a problem with the Oracle Server itself. This should give you the benefit of getting a more specific error message from SQLPLUS, if it can not connect, either.

Thanks anacedent & MCrowley.

i will try your suggestions...