Provided Answers: 4

Unanswered: SQL Server 2008 stub that links to remote cluster

Hi,

In our current environment, the Windows Server has a minimal SQL Server 2000 installed on which it is only possible to connect to databases on a remote SQL Server cluster. It is impossible to create a new database on the machine itself.

This is what I found on BOL MSSQL 2000
    Connectivity Only

Installs only the relational database client connectivity components, including MDAC 2.6 (Microsoft Data Access Components), a requirement for connecting to SQL Server 2000 named instances. This option provides connectivity tools only, with no choice of client tools or other components
    How can we do the same with SQL Server 2008?

I found information about Linked Server, but I'm not sure if that is what we're looking for. Linked Server seems to be to connect to some selected tables only. We want to connect to the whole database.

(We are planning a migration from MSSQL 2000 to 2008)
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Provided Answers: 11
    MDAC is usually installed with the operating system, so any windows server will have the basic OLE and ODBC drivers to connect to a SQL Server instance. If you want to use Native Client, there is a separate install for that, which I think is redistributable. I am not entirely sure how the Windows server is locked down so that it can only connect to databases on one particular machine. I expect this is just an application config, and if you had usernames, and passwords for other servers, you would be able to connect to them, as well.