Thread: video files

Unanswered: video files

Hi there I need help as I need to create a database that holds information for video files that is able to be streamed to a website from a server.

I am very new to this and do not know where to start, any help is very much appreciated. thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    store the URL / path to the resource in the db, along with anythign else relevant eg running time, encoding and so on
    store any keywords etc in the db.. probably as a sub table.. depends on how many key wprds you want to use/allow/need

store the video clips in a location visible to the server / outside world
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for your help im starting to understand what to do now. Could you please explain to me what a sub table is and how it will work alsonside the database. So far I have created fields such as film name, film year, running time, etc.

Also when you say the url/path to the resource how does it link in the website, would a hyperlink become available once a certain film has been selected?

thanks for the help so far

sub table often called a child table, ie it has deatils expanding the defintion of the parent table. on example often you have an order which contains the stuf pertinent to that order (say an order date, delivery date, custoemr ID, delivery address and so on, and you have a child (or sub) table containing details of the items ordered

table: Videos
    ID
    Name
    Ref
    Publisher
    ...etc

table VideoKeyWords
    VideoID ... fk to Id in Videos
    Keyword string

if you wanted to constraint he keywords so that you have common keywords you could use

table: Videos
    Table: Keywords
    Word
    Categories
    Table: VideoKeywords
    VideoId (fk in Videos)
    Keyword (fk in Keywords)
    ..both are PK in VideoKeywords

so would the video id be the path to the resource or would that be under reference and what do you mean by keyword string?

Is what I have done so far correct or going in the right direction?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

some db's use string as the datatype, some text, some char..

as its a word I'm assuming you'd use a trext/char/string datatype

if you define the keywords in a separate table, then its arguable whether you'd use an id or the word itself. me personally would use an ID to the word, so that if you decided to change your keywords the impact of the change on the db would be significantly less.

off hand I'd expect genre to be a foreign key to a table called genre. the way you are doing it at present may cuase problems with typo's, spelling mistakes, or CaPiTaLiSaTiOn issues. remmeber int he db world HORROR may not be the same sa horror or Horror.

Provided Answers: 1
    To a website you say? If that's the case, you may want to consider building your requirements around those dictated by the website you're attempting to interact with. We can't help you there as this is specific to the exact service on the exact website you intend to use.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***