Unanswered: "The OLE server isn't registered" Access 97

Back in 1997 I used Access 97 to write my invoicing database. I loosely followed the Northwind example. Needless to say, I didn't know much about what I was doing then and even less now.

Recently, something broke with a Roxio program. I reinstalled that and it deleted a critical system file so it wouldn't even boot. (Thank you Roxio)

I tried doing a repair with the XP disk and ended up reinstalling the whole OS. sigh.

I got all my programs reinstalled and all seemed well until I went to do an invoice. The main window consists of a form and a subform. (See screen1.jpg and screen2.jpg) The main form has all the client info, date and P.O. number. The subform has the item(s) I'm billing. The subform creates new lines as needed.

The problem is in the subform. It handles the first line great but when it transitions from the first line to creating line two, it crashes with the error message:

The OLE server isn't registered
    To register the OLE server, reinstall it.

After you click ok, the 'send error report' window pops up and the program closes. I've tried uninstalling several times to no avail.

I tried chasing the problem down with Google but that error message seems to pop up a lot for a lot of different reasons.

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what OLE server they are talking about and how do I reinstall it.

Regards,
    Walt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen1.jpg   Screen2.jpg  

See if this helps:
    The OLE server isn't registered. - dBforums

Regards,

Ax

I had seen that thread. I tried uninstalling and re-installing comdlg32.ocx to no avail. I don't have the developer tools or visual studio but they have never been needed in the past. This database has been on quite a few computers over the years. It worked fine on this one until it go munched.

I did some poking around my database yesterday and I think it may have something to do with visual basic. Would visual basic calls be OLE? Is visual basic part of the common dialog?

The best thing I got from that thread is that I really need to try to create a small sample database that duplicates the problem. I'll try to work on that this afternoon. If and when I get something, I'll post it.

Regards,
    Walt

Creating a test database turned out to be surprisingly easy, just a bit of copy/paste.

To see the problem, open the test form. The tab order goes from quantity to description and on down the line. As soon as a quantity is entered on a line, another line is created. As soon as the focus reaches this new line, it crashes with the OLE server error.

Hope this helps someone to point me in the right direction.

Walt
    Attached Files Attached Files

In your test db, it crashes because it cannot find the form "INVOICE" (ie. Forms![Invoice]![Shipping].SetFocus) in the Private Sub Discription_GotFocus() event. (you also don't have a field called Shipping.) - It has nothing to do with an unregistered OLE control in your test.mdb. Specialized OLE controls are typically non-standard type controls and are not really needed for a normal application.

You may want to make the form a single (or continous) form versus a datasheet.

I would also recommend adding an Autonumber type field to your table.

There also doesn't seem to be anything which would require a 'special' ocx or OLE control from your original post. I would recommend avoiding any specialized OLE type controls that need to be registered. Looking at your snapshots, I don't really see the need to use any such control. These are often special controls such as a certain calendar control, or a special formatting of a text box control, TreeView Control, etc..etc.... I never use any of these (other than the Calendar control). Again, looking at your snapshots, I don't see any reason that you'd need to utilize such a special type control in your application. Make it easy on yourself and avoid embedding these OLE controls into your form. There's really no need to from looking at your snapshots.

For example, If I wanted to format a single text box so it could have multiple colors, I might use a special ocx control. But I would avoid doing so simply because they are a pain to work with and I can achieve something similar by putting 2 or 3 text boxes together, coloring each one differently (if I really, really needed to do so.) But I wouldn't do it simply because of the hassle making sure it's registered (not to mention upsizing problems).

I'd recommend only using the controls which show in the Toolbox. These controls will take care of 99.99999% (usually a 100%) of your application.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 02-15-10 at 23:16.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I obviously didn't explain this well. I'll try to start over.

There is nothing wrong with the database. It has worked great for over a decade.

The problem is ONLY with this computer and started when I had to re-install the OS.

I put the two jpg's up to highlight where the problem was occurring and to show the error message.

The test database wasn't intended to be a fully functional database. I thought it would be easier to troubleshoot if just the problem area was posted. It is just the subform that is embedded in the main form so, naturally, if you try to leave it, it will cause an error. If it will help, I'd be happy to post a more complete database.

On a properly functioning computer, if you stay in the subform, you should be able to create and fill out numerous lines. If you tab on quantity 0, it will attempt to leave the subform for the mainform and cause an error.

On THIS computer, after I fill in a line, it causes the 'OLE server isn't registered' error as soon as the new line receives the focus.

I made mention of visual basic because it's making visual basic calls at this point in the database AND because it's the only thing I see that looks remotely like an OLE object.

I was very surprised when I got this error message because I didn't think I HAD any OLE objects.

Thanks for taking a look at all this,
    Walt

Yes. If you can post the frontend mdb (or accdb) that you're having problems with, that would help to quickly find the problem (no need for the data in the tables.)

It's probably something (as you stated) non-OLE related since MSAccess likes to throw out obscure errors.

Sorry - I assumed your testdb had some part of it related to your live db. The error I got was different though (not an OLE type error) which leads me to believe it might be References related or a visual basic corruption that may have stemmed from Roxio (I've had problems with Roxio as well but not the same as yours.) A visual basic corruption would make sense for an OLE type error.

Did you say you tried repairing or re-installing MSAccess? (or the whole Office package)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 02-17-10 at 00:37.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

OK, here's most of the database. The Accounts Receivables button won't work on the main menu and the Print button and the Set New Invoice button won't work on the Invoice.

I tried reinstalling several times. I even ran every registry cleaner I could find in hopes of getting a cleaner install. Didn't help.

The problem happens in the Subinvoice when the focus is set to the new line. I've never understood just how this new line is created.

Description has an event procedure that 'on got focus' that kicks you out of Subinvoice and into shipping on Invoice if Quantity is zero. This is the error you ran into when you tried to run it without the invoice form.

I've started to look at SSD's. Sounds radical but I know a clean install of everything will cure it and I haven't been impressed with the raid 0 I put in this machine.

Cheers,
    Walt
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 01sporty; 02-17-10 at 14:52.