Unanswered: Help with conversion, if possible

Hello. I am new to this forum, and relatively new to databases. I have used Excel and Access, but I am lacking when it comes to more complicated databases.

What I'm interested in doing is creating a database to help me with the calculation of weighted GPAs. I'm a guidance counselor and I'd like to come up with something that will allow me to generate GPAs of my students without having to rely on waiting for them to come in from the office (also to double check the GPAs, too).

For example, would it be possible to create a database that, when I put in certain value in one column, that it automatically puts an assigned GPA in another column?

So, if I put, say, 97h (for a 97 in an Honors level class) that in the next column it would automatically put in a 4.4 for the weighted GPA?

Is there a way to accomplish this using either Access or Excel?

Attached is a picture of what I'm looking for
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gpa-example.JPG  

Sure... I've got a program I wrote several years ago that does this. Send me your specs and I will modify it if you haven't found something yet.

later...
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by papsoft View Post
    Sure... I've got a program I wrote several years ago that does this. Send me your specs and I will modify it if you haven't found something yet.

later...
    Ron
    Ron,
    What I'm looking for would involve calculating GPAs starting with 100 being a 4.5, down to a 70, which would be a 1.5.

Where it gets tricky is that there are different levels of courses. For example, there are AP level courses, Honors level courses, Academic level courses, and Fundamental level courses.

If someone earned a 95 in an Honors level class, the GPA would be 4.2. A 95 in an Academic class would be a GPA of 4.0.

Any thoughts on how to pull this off, if it's possible?

If you've got someway to calculate it manually, it can be calculated by pc. In other words if your grading by course level can be calculated by ap level, honors, etc... It can be put into code to calculate your gpa's. It seems to me each course level has an algorithim all to itself. So what tells me if a 100 in ap level courses eqauls 4.5? If you have a chart you are going off of, you could actually back into the numbers.

Hope this helps...