Unanswered: Is Access to become obsolete?

We have been told that Access is to become obsolete within a short period of time and that we will have to look to another software. Can anyone confirm this??

Boy I hate seeing questions like these. It's absolutely the complete opposite. Microsoft has gone through a lot of trouble to make MSAccess 2007 more user friendly for new developers (and sadly less friendly for old-time developers.) You may find MSAccess (jet) tables (ie. backend) are becoming less popular and SQL Server is becoming more popular (again, as backend tables.) But as far as a frontend development tool, I can guarantee you won't find an easier development tool.

You may hear about .NET (or some other WEB development tool) is becoming popular but that's like comparing apples to oranges. MSAccess is simply not a good web development tool which is where the rumors you've heard may have stemmed from. It never was and probably never will be a good web development tool.

MSAccess is still the number 1 tool to develop a quick easy (non-web) database and interface. Take it from someone who has used MSAccess (and other programming tools) since 1991. (although some will say they've successfully used MSAccess for web development.)

I've used MSAccess to develop many enterprise level applications (ie. 5 million+ records in a SQL Server backend with an MSAccess frontend). If anyone tells you otherwise, they simply don't have the experience with MSAccess to tell you differently. They think of MSAccess as a 'poor-man's', single-user tool simply because they don't know how to code properly with it for an enterprise multi-user environment. Or you'll hear about how SQL Server developers are enterprise level developers and MSAccess developers are not (but keep in mind - SQL Server is NOT a front-end development tool - it's a backend ONLY tool! - ie. you CAN'T develop a front-end interface with SQL Server.) (and I've done my fair share of writing SQL Server stored procedures, views, triggers, etc... - none of which are an interface - but I do love SQL Server as a backend tool.)

For example, if you ever get an Energy Star rebate check or participated in any Energy Star/Renewable Energy program, it came from an MSAccess frontend (with a SQL Server backend). I also used MSAccess to develop a frontend interface to query the entire Experian Credit card dataset as well as geocoding lat/long for all US postal addresses (if that's worth anything.)

Other experienced MSAccess developers here can relate how they've properly used MSAccess to develop enterprise (or non-enterprise) level applications. Many who will tell you that you that they also use SQL Server, Oracle, or MySQL as a backend (which is what you should use if you're dealing with any large recordsets.)

I often hear how php or java (or again .NET or some other WEB development tool) is becoming more popular but again, keep in mind, these are WEB tools and should NOT be compared to MSAccess!!
    Last edited by pkstormy; 02-17-10 at 00:15.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 59
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if JET, the database part of Access becomes obsolete. its getting increasingly clunky as it ages, given the plethora of server backends available at no or little cost I coudl see JET going. but Access isn't JET and vice versa. Access is a front end RAD tool not a database per se.

I wouldn't be surprised if Access migrates to the .NET platform, and VBA disappears with the proposed merge of VB & C#. whether that will happen is anybody's guess, and if it does whether Microsoft will continue to call it Access likewise. Whatever does happen Im pretty certain Microsoft will retain a desktop Database tool such as Access.. it may be a different product it may be given a different name but there will still be a need for a desktop db product aimed at SME's. Personally I'd be surprised if the name Access disappeared, Access is a pretty descriptive name for a Database GUI tool

Access and the Office VBA products used to lag a version behind VB, although that changed when .NET appeared.

Access has already been repositioned, its been removed from the commonly available Office Professional for a while, its still available but its no longer part of the common software bundle.

I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

One thing to remember is that Access is essentially a users' database, which is why it is associated with the Office product. I always design my databases with the idea that users will often want to seek out information in an ad-hoc manner. System integrity can be maintained by giving them read-only access to a separate linked database (usually whimsically called the Sandpit - just to remind them who the really clever DB people are ! ). Most of the world's users are Microsoft based and if Access disappeared, you would get substantial fragmentation of the marketplace, with users possibly having to learn new data extraction products at every site they went to.

Thumbs down

"Access to be obsolete" ???

That's a nonsense statement - and you should run, not walk, away from whatever consultant/vendor that is blowing that smoke at you....

That is borderline unprofessional.

I might be able to accept the long range, pie-in-the-sky view that someday "everything" will be web based - - - - but if I had a PC/LAN database requirement need today and for the foreseeable future - one would make it with Access; because developing it to be web based will be 10x the cost right now.

Point whoever told you this to here:
    Microsoft Access : Access 15 and SQL Server
    That is not the next version of Office, but the one after.
    ADPs were marked as deprecated in 2007 (though interestingly are referenced above) but not Access.
    Last edited by pootle flump; 02-23-10 at 10:59.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

It's usually the most non-experienced developers who will tell you MSAccess is obsolete (mainly because they don't know how to develop with MSAccess and are trying to gear you towards something they know how to develop with.)

As NTC stated, you should RUN from these consultants and hold anything else that they might say with a grain of salt (and very little credit).

It's like saying "Are TV's obsolete?"
    Last edited by pkstormy; 02-24-10 at 22:39.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)