Lightbulb Unanswered: Best practices on Tablespace design on DB2 9.7

Hi,

I know this is the most frequently asked question but I've got reason for asking it again...I want to know the best practices for tablespace & bufferpool design on DB2 9.7(in depth).

I am working a benchmarking project wherein we have to do performance & volume testing with 18TB of DB2 database (version 9.7) with AIX 5.3 (p series) as database servers with OLTP applications.I am planning to have database "automatic storage" enabled.I have list of large sized, medium sized & small sized tables in the database.Also, I have list of frequently accessed tables & rarely used tables.

I want some help about designing pagesize, extentsize, prefetchsize, ,transfer rate & overhead and bufferpools to maximize performance

I read somewhere that pagesize should be set on the basis of rowsize but there are many tables in database with columns defined as varchar,How can I estimate rowsize accurately in that case?

Please share your experiences and guide me with some really good performance tuning tips.Thanks in advance...
    Shuchi Mishra
    DB2 9 certified DBA for LUW

Check the below link for the best practices of db design in DB2 LUW

Best Practices for DB2 for LUW

You really have 18TB of data in an OLTP database? I'd understand if you have a warehouse/OLAP workload. For OLTP, that data volume is really extreme.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Hi,

Yes!!!I know the data volume is too high for OLTP
    Shuchi Mishra
    DB2 9 certified DBA for LUW