Toronto, Canada

Unanswered: Microsoft Access -- lame, or not lame?

here's an interesting rebuttal to an article written by an access fanboy...

Top 10 Reasons Why Access Still Doesn’t Rock | Brent Ozar - Too Much Information

the original article is linked in the first paragraph

comments by the dbforums experts? | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

the best single word that comes to mind to me for that article is: superficial

Access is what it is. The task is finding the write tool for the job.

MySql is free, so is sqlite - - but then you have to deal with form development, report development tools too.

sqlserver is a solid product; but it sits on the winserver license which is more expensive - - and certification to represent solid capability in sqlserver is an extensive process...

who cares the count of forums? - you only need 1 good one....

I know all the products. It is a bargain for what you get end-to-end and rock solid...but also the existing user base out there in the business world is often already deeply committed to Office - and so the integration with that is often key to making the customer happy and they pay the bills.

web development your goal ??; then go with the LAMP stack if your environment is independent - but if your environment is Microsoft committed then you will go ASP...

the article is very superficial.....

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    Generally this has nothing to do with Access being lame, but rather with the people who write this kind of thing being lamebrains! It is the single most deployed database out there, which should make even lamebrains understand the fallacy of their grousing.

As NTC said, and as is often the case in thois world, it is all a question of picking the right tool for the job at hand, as well as taking the necessary time to learning how to use that tool. I moderate one Access forum and contribute regularly to four others, and I can tell you that 90-95% of all questions we get are posted by people who haven't bother to learn Access before trying create their first database. Frequently they haven't even bothered to learn the names of the Controls and Objects used.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

One Flump in One Place
    Brent is a great blogger. It is worth pointing out he is a SQL Server MVP DBA and (last time I looked) most closely followed SQL Server tweeter. He came to the last SQL Bits in the UK and was easily in the top 3 headlining personalities there.

Part of the reason he is such a great blogger is he is opinionated and funny.

My 2c - I agree with a fair amount of what he says, but he is very strongly taking the SQL Server vs Access line. I didn't read the article he rebuts, however I grow tired of the Access vs SQL Server (typically presented as amateur vs enterprise professional) arguments. Both have great features but I don't actually think there is that much crossover so the war seems forced, false and based on misconceptions. I also think that, as ever, the front end RAD tools of Access and the default backend RDBMS JET/ACE are being lumped together and confused.

I don't use Access professionally anymore. I am a SQL Server MCITP DBA. I produce multi gigabyte extracts used by one of the UK's largest government departments to inform and evaluate policy. Yet I am very aware that probably the application that I have created that had the greatest impact on the way the client did business was in Access & JET. That is how I believe these things should be evaluated, not petty bitching and nah nah nah naaaah nahs.
    Last edited by pootle flump; 02-22-10 at 09:34.
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    I think the reality is that too many perceive Access as a database, it isn't
    so most of the comments about the database failings fail because usually anything that SQL server, MySQL, Oracle or whatever server product can do Access can do, as if JET ain't up to the taks then use that server product. many of the RAD features of Access fall apart when you switch to a client server model, thats the R bit of RAD, however that doens't invalidate the tool. One of the advantages of Access in my books is the familarity of the interface.. and that often means huge benefits in usability.

there is no doubt going down the route of dicsconnected recordsets, unbound controls places more load on the developer, and imposes the Access way of doing things, rather than the flexibility that starting from scratch with a more convetional development language such as C, C++ etc... could provide.

Persoanlly I suspect that some of the advantages of Access are waning with the deployment of clear cut objects and classes. sadly I come across all to many poorly designed and thought out classes which negate the advantages of OOP
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton