Unanswered: need reorg synchronous

I have DB2 v8 FP 17.

I notice that if I do an REORG TABLE PROD.ACTION IN PLACE ALLOW WRITE ACCESS;

These are asynchronous. I want to do synchronous instead since I have an update stats and rebind at the end of the script (these get executed almost immediately). How can I achieve that easily? I can probably switch to ALLOW READ ACCESS if that's the case...

Provided Answers: 1
    Well, don't do it INPLACE then.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Two options :

a) After issuing the reorgs, check the status of them on a periodic basis ... Do the runstats and rebind after all reorgs complete. There is a admin function for the reorg status ...

b) Do the reorgs on one day and the runstats/rebind the next day

The second option is easy and OK only if you are doing a 'casual' reorg, and NOT after a specfiic operation like DELETE of a huge number of rows.

Quote Originally Posted by bic View Post
    I have DB2 v8 FP 17.

I notice that if I do an REORG TABLE PROD.ACTION IN PLACE ALLOW WRITE ACCESS;

These are asynchronous. I want to do synchronous instead since I have an update stats and rebind at the end of the script (these get executed almost immediately). How can I achieve that easily? I can probably switch to ALLOW READ ACCESS if that's the case...
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Provided Answers: 5
    Go with option a above. You can check the status in a script, while still running go to sleep for a bit, then check again, when complete then start next set of commands.

Quote Originally Posted by dav1mo View Post
    Go with option a above. You can check the status in a script, while still running go to sleep for a bit, then check again, when complete then start next set of commands.
    Correct. Used to do that. One of the reasons why I do not like INLINE reorgs: complex scripts and a lot of logging, slow and additional action required to reorg your indexes as well.