Question Unanswered: Help with err 10055 when connecting to MySQL

Hi all,

I am using ODBC to connect to a MySQL server. The connecting process is on the same physical machine as the MySQL server. The connection has been operating fine for months, then one day all of a sudden, I get "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10055)". No future connections were allowed. I had to restart the server after which it worked for another few weeks, then.... BANG! "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10055)" again!

When I receive the error for the ODBC link, my MySQL query browser and MySQL administrator will also refuse to connect but remote clients are able to connect without a problem. Also a ping on localhost resolves just fine.

No changes have been made to my application and not administrative changes have been made to the MySQL server.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to start looking?

The full stacktrace of the error is as follows:
    Code:
    [OdbcException (0x80131937): ERROR [HYT00] [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10055)]
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.HandleError(OdbcHandle hrHandle, RetCode retcode) +35
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnectionHandle..ctor(OdbcConnection connection, OdbcConnectionString constr, OdbcEnvironmentHandle environmentHandle) +131
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject) +98
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +27
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +47
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
       System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.Open() +37
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +121
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +162
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable) +107
       PGWC.Winnuwei.ProsecutionNoticesTableAdapters.NoticeTableAdapter.Fill(NoticeDataTable dataTable, DateTime Parameter1, DateTime Parameter2) +306
       PGWC.Winnuwei.IntegrationAdapter.GetNoticesIssued(DateTime from, DateTime to) +113
       ExportProsecutionNotices.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ExportProsecutionNotices.aspx.cs:43
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +15
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +34
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

Check mySQL books on 101 Free Tech Books - mySQL, they might help.