Unanswered: What is the main difference between Posgres ,MYSQL and Firebird database?

Experts,

Could you please explain me or refer me to a link that explains the differences between Postgres ,MYSQL and Firebird?

Thank you in advance.

Best
    Gagan Virk

Firebird seems to a pretty complete product but the documentation is awful, so I haven't used it much.

I've used MySQL and Postgres a good deal and strongly prefer Postgres. It has tons of advanced features and follows the standard closely. And given the right circumstances MySQL can be amazingly fast. But MySQL's strongest selling point is probably its popularity.

But the right database for you largely depends on you. If you are an enterprise user coming from Oracle or DB2 then hands Postgres. If you are a web developer that just wants some place to stuff your data then I'd recommend MySQL.

Provided Answers: 12
    Don't forget the license.

Postgres and Firebird are truely "free" (BSD license, which means you can do pretty much anything you like with them)

MySQL is licensed under the GPL so if you want to develop a solution based on MySQL you will have to make your software GPL as well.

MySQL is more simple... than PostgreSQL; it's fast, easy and have a good documentation.
    MySQL have a good tool (phpmyadmin, areosql and more...) for management (via web).
    MySQL have tow license, free and commercial.
    MySQL is more slow than PostreSQL with an elevate number of requests.

Sorry for my English.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by vhost87 View Post
    MySQL have tow license, free and commercial.
    It's not free if you build commercial solutions on top of it.
    It is free to use internally though

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    It's not free if you build commercial solutions on top of it.
    It is free to use internally though
    Yes, sorry