Question Unanswered: Why is sqlservr running?

I have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop. I use it for software development and simple Internet access. I do absolutely nothing with SQL Server. My machine is not set up to be a server. Yet sqlservr.exe is running all the time and often consumes considerable CPU time.

I used services.msc to see that SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) and several other SQL programs are set to automatically start up when I start the machine. Is it safe for me to disable these SQL programs?

Provided Answers: 12
    Most probably some other program you installed, installed SQL Server Express as an "embedded database". If you disable the SQL Server service, that program will not work any longer.

Btw: which Windows version are you using? I recall something, that the indexing service of Windows7 might use SQL Server express internally, but I'm not sure about that.

sqlservr

I'm using Windows XP.

I guess, then, that I can just disable the SQL programs and see if it affects any other program. My main concern was that these SQL programs were somehow required by Windows itself and that by disabling them I might make it impossible to start up Windows.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerInHawaii View Post
    My main concern was that these SQL programs were somehow required by Windows itself and that by disabling them I might make it impossible to start up Windows.
    Definitely not.

If you installed Visual Studio and left the selection of components as they appear, then it installed SQLExpress for you. If you never plan to use it again, you can go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall SQL Express. But I would just set it to manual, because having SQL around (even express) may come handy one day.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Yes, I have Visual Studio installed, so that's probably how sqlservr.exe got installed. I've disabled it so it's no longer running. But it still leaves the question of why it was ever consuming 5%, 10%, sometimes 20% of the CPU time. What could it possibly have been doing, since I've never been explicitly building or querying any database?