Unanswered: Auto-populate records from number range on Input Form

Hi,

I have a database that is used to stored order no's and despatch services and information that is used by several different departments. One such department has requested that the order no's are entered individually so that individual despatch information can be entered up against the record. However, the increased amount of Input to do this would be immense, so I am wondering...

Can you auto populate records if a range of order no's are entered into the Input form. For instance;

If I have 5 orders that all require the term "despatch today" recorded against it, and the order numbers range 1000 - 1004. Is there a way for access to create identical records so that each of 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003 & 1004 all have Despatch today against it without having to manually enter each record. If 1000-1004 is entered into a "field" on the Input form can Access pull the intervening numbers out and create an identical record for each one.

I know that sounds all a little bit confusing, but Im not expert on access - and it's jus a theory I'm playing with.

Thanks for any help xx

sure there is. the only question is how do you signal to the db that those records are "today" - and other records are not....

once you figure out that flag method - perhaps a field for Complete or something....then it should be no problem.

Hmm.. ok, well there is a complete as such, and the flag service is separate.

I'm jus not entirely sure how to go about the populating multiple records from one form / and one txt box. Ideally, the order no's need to go into the txt box in the 0000 - 0000 method, and populate out from that individually. I just need a push in the right direction if that makes sense!

Actually.. you know what. Don't worry. This is one person who's being nit-picking about things, and frankly, I'm not getting anything out of this, nor do I need the hassle... I'm an Inputter - and somehow i've ended up doing complex databases for the bloody company.. so I'm jus gonna tell them where to shove their little nit-picky ways!

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by colenzo View Post
    Actually.. you know what. Don't worry. This is one person who's being nit-picking about things, and frankly, I'm not getting anything out of this, nor do I need the hassle... I'm an Inputter - and somehow i've ended up doing complex databases for the bloody company.. so I'm jus gonna tell them where to shove their little nit-picky ways!
    way to go
    qualify user request into "must haves", "would like to have", "it'd be nice if you could".

make certain the must haves are legit and reasonable and pay the pain to get them done, if you can build in the like to's great, and even better chuck in a few nice if coulds. fight your corner if theres a requirement that is a ****** to do, explain the problem and see if the requests turns out to be from la la land or is a real requirement. the classic I used to hit was this is how this report must look.. because thats the way their old report looked. the reason for the cockeyed report was familiarity and fear of change. fear of change is something that seems endemic in Accountants and financial people (well fear of change to them, not fear of change imposed on others by accountants)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton