Unanswered: Arithmetic overflow error converting float to data type numeric

I'm having a bit of an issue. It seems simple, but I can't seem to get it fixed.

I'm doing calculations. Grabbing total number of surveys, total number of negative surveys and total number of positive surveys. Then I'm trying to return a positive and negative percentage.

declare @npos as int
    declare @nneg as int
    declare @tot as int
    Declare @retval as decimal

set @retval = @nneg/@tot

This is simplified obviously. It all works fine unless the total and negative (and presumably positive) are the same. so if i have 1 response and its negative, it sets @retval = 1/1. when i do this in a query window the response is 1.00000000000000000. Thats where I assume the problem is coming from.

I've tried extending the decimal size, tried numeric, tried float, tried setting the int's to decimal/numeric, tried rounding, tried floor, and casting the numbers both before and after calculation. I cannot get anything to work correctly.

What I need back.. if its 1.0000000000000 then i need 1.00. Then I will make it a percent in my gridview.

Would appreciate the help. I'm pretty lost.

Provided Answers: 11
    Part of the problem is that the calculation is done with all integers. This will introduce a number of rounding errors.
    Code:
    declare @npos as int
    declare @nneg as int
    declare @tot as int
    Declare @retval as decimal (10, 5)

set @tot = 2
    set @nneg = 1

set @retval = @nneg/@tot
    select @retval

-------------------- 

(1 row(s) affected)
    I believe you want to have .5 displayed. In that case, you should either declare the @tot, @nneg, and @npos variables to be decimal, as well. You should also apply scale and precision parameters to the definitions, in order to make sure you are getting the correct rounding.
    Code:
    declare @npos as decimal (5, 0)
    declare @nneg as decimal(5, 0)
    declare @tot as decimal(5, 0)
    Declare @retval as decimal (6, 5)

set @tot = 2
    set @nneg = 1

set @retval = @nneg/@tot
    select @retval

Thank you!