Lightbulb Unanswered: overriding sorting in reports

Hi all,

I have created an employee table with the fields employee name, title and organization. and i have created another table employee targets with the fields target type, target description, target,.

I am now creating report for each employee and listing down his targets. I have created a grouping in the report by target type. The report automatically sorts this grouping in ascending order.

I do not want target type to be sorted. I want to dispaly it in a specific order.

Is there a way to override this sorting so the target type grouping is displayed as i entered in the tables rather than being sorted ?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Uzair Moosa

Provided Answers: 14
    You cannot have your data GROUPed BY and in random order at the same moment, this is incoherent.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    yes put a flag on the target type table which indicates what order you want them in. I quite often use somethign like 'sortseq' an integer and use that as part of the report or form sort order.

the advantage of this method is that its entirely at the users discretion so there is no development impact when the user decides to change the order. had you used say an autogenerated number then its tricky to insert new target types in the middle of the list.

you may need to decide if your sort sequence can allow duplicates, and if so do you need to worry about it.

if you set a default value of say 99 then new entries will automatically come near the foot of the list
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton