Unanswered: Oracle Baseline(ing) - HOW

Hi all,

Can anyone please advise where to start in terms of creating a baseline for Oracle DBs?

I believe there is the DBMS_WORKLOAD_REPOSITORY package that can be used to create baseline but that uses AWR information which you need a diagnostic/performance pack license for, is that correct?

If I cannot use DBMS_WORKLOAD_REPOSITORY due to not wanting to buy a diagnostic/performance pack license, what tools can I use then to create a baseline, preferably free/open-source.

Any advise will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

baselining is subjective to the environment and what you are doing.
    The easiest way would be to take AWR reports for before and after and compare.

getting into more detail you would TRACE the sessions, TKPROF the results.
    compare code against before and after TKPROFs.

"baseline a database" means very little. too broad. you have no idea what you are measuring. if CPU or memory is at 50% is that good/bad/expected? meh

all that matters in the end is: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE USER TO SEE WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE. If they wait, they complain or don't use it. If it's fast, they are happy.

Determine what is happening in the database during these times and measure performance of the code during those times. Compare before/after.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...