Talking Unanswered: URGENt sUGGESTIONs

Hello everyone, i registered here just to ask a question and see if i can get good suggestions because other forums gave me nothing informative so i am trying this one.....so here goes

I am a Oracle beginner(no knowledge)
    I am quite good with windows
    Very Little or no knowledge with linux
    Very Fast Learner ( due to EXcessive free time, and Very Fast internet connection with determination )
    An undergraduate(1 more year) student studying Information Technology in university
    Am grounded with other disciplines like programming, networking, troubleshooting, maintenance, web design, installations etc.

So i wanna begin with oracle but im left with a choice....what operating system( WINDOWS vs LINUX ) is preferred to learn...please i need informative answers with reasons and specifications....thanks!!

It all depends what you want to do. Most databases are run from unix or linux, so if you want to be a dba you should learn linux. If you want to be a programmer, most tools run on windows.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh View Post
    Most databases are run from unix or linux.
    please provide evidence for this claim
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I've worked over 10 years with oracle databases in at least 7 companies.
    only one used oracle on windows.
    The rest have used Linux, AIX, Solaris. Linux being relatively the most cost-effective I believe.

I can't think of one DBA that I currently know who actually works on Oracle Databases on Windows.

So, from that perspective, Billl seems to be right on and I see no reason to go crazy over his statement.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Provided Answers: 12
    I know at least two large international companies that run Oracle on Windows Server 2003

well, if he meant only oracle databases...

and a polite request for more information isn't "going crazy"

perhaps you could lighten up a little, my little ducky friend

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Fair enough. I am lightened.
    It IS an Oracle forum however.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

If I was in your shoes, I would start out with Oracle on Windows, as it's what you know and, I assume, have. You're not going to be jumping into advanced DBA topics right from the start and the majority of concepts are the same or similar regardless of platform.

You can also concentrate on Oracle, verses trying to learn Oracle *and* another platform at the same time. Once you get comfortable, then start learning the basics of other platforms, later starting to learn Oracle on those platforms. Linux would be a great place to start when you're ready as it won't cost you anything but time and some hard drive space.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, UNIX/Linux is my platform of choice, but I have plenty of customers running pretty large Oracle databases on Windows and they are happy as can be. This is even more true with X64 processors, Windows and Oracle.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

At my site we have oracle on windows, linux, solaris. With one database on windows, 5 on Linux, and two on solaris. and the windows one was for a canned package from ADP. At previous sites I have worked at we have never had a windows based oracle database only solaris, linus, and novell. While I acknowledge that there are windows sites, Oracle develops all new releases on Linux for a reason and then ports to other OS's
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I'm will Bill and Ducky on this one. Most likely if you are running your database on Windows, its probably because your running that crappy database that ONLY runs on Windows.

Still trying to figure out what is so urgent about OP's request.

We like our LINUX installation, but we have been lured into the concept of running Oracle on Windows, since we're about to adopt .NET as our development platform. There's some integration between Visual Studio and the database under those circumstances, as well as the ability to write stored procedures in C#/VB.NET, rather than PL/SQL.

I doubt we'll switch, but it seems like it would present some really cool options.

--=Chuck

> as well as the ability to write stored procedures in C#/VB.NET, rather than PL/SQL.

That is interesting. It would be cool if Oracle would interface with other languages similar to Postgres where you can write stored procedures in C, Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, Java. And of course, what database product would be complete if it didn't interface with LOLCODE?