Red face Unanswered: Conditional formatting on Change of Cell Value

Hi,

I have a query. I want whenever value of a particular column is changed, it applies conditional formatting such as Bold, Background colour etc.

Is it possible? Any suggestion will help me to overcome this issue.

Thanks

Hi,

Yes, depending on exactly what you want, it could be possible.
    Can you give us a bit more detail? Also, which version of XL are you using?
    Last edited by Colin Legg; 03-17-10 at 07:33.

Suppose, in a particular column, price of some parts are reflecting & they are linked with another cell in another worksheet.

I want to know when price of part(s) changes, reflection (conditional formatting) to this effect is done in another sheet that means price has been changed comparing with old values.

For example in sheet "A", there some child parts like

D-1002 Rs. 100.00
    D-1003 Rs. 50.00
    D-1004 Rs 27.50
    D-1005 Rs. 23.30

And one part name "AAA" reflecting in sheet "AAA" is made consisting of following two child parts:

D-1003 Rs.50.00
    D-1004 Rs. 27.50

Total Rs. 77.50

I want whenever user changes the price of D-1003 & D-1004, price reflection in this regard is done in sheet "AAA'.

Hope, this clarifies your question.

I am using Office 2003 version.

Hi,

So my understanding is that you want any inconsistencies in the child part prices between the two sheets to be highlighted on the "AAA" sheet. This highlighting will then prompt you to manually update the price on the "AAA" sheet so that it is in line with the "A" sheet. Is that correct?

If that is correct, then there is a better way of doing it. Rather than having the child part prices in "AAA" as constants, you can use formulas which reference the "A" sheet. That way, if the prices in "A" are changed, those changes will automatically also be updated in "AAA". Does this solution interest you?

I can use VLOOKUP formula or linked the sheet/cell to derive the new price but that doesnot solve my problem.

I only want whenever value is changed in "A" sheet (considering the old value and new value), reflection through conditional formatting is done in the respective sheets i.e. "AAA".

Hope, you will now understand that I want.

I don't understand what you want. What does "reflection through conditional formatting" mean and what does it achieve? If you want a change highlighted, would that highlight be permanent? If not, what should trigger the highlighting to be removed?

A specific, simple example might help.

Reflection through conditional formatting will definetely help for eye estimation (i.e. means in which part[s]) where prices increased/decreased. And number of parts in the corresponding sheet may vary from 1 to say 30 or 40.

That will give a clear picture where price increased/decreased since last saved.

I don't really understand.

I've attached a workbook showing what I *think* you want.

The conditional formatting in place for cells AAA!B2:B3 is like this:
    =$B2<>VLOOKUP($A2,LOOKUP_TABLE,2,0)

If the price on sheet A changes, then the mismatch is highlighted in yellow on the AAA sheet.

This is the best I can offer given the information in the thread.

Hope that helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files