Unanswered: Main form for viewing and subform for editing

I have a main form which i want to view customer data only - no edits, deletions, additions etc..

i have a subform which i want to be edits in

I have set the subform properties for Allow Edits=YES and the main form Allow Edits=NO

But i still cant edit the subform in my main form..why?

Provided Answers: 14
    Is the recordsource of the subform editable and how are the form and the subform related?
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Is the recordsource of the subform editable and how are the form and the subform related?
    yes the record source of the subform is editable.

The main form has customer details and the field that links from this form is "mailID"

there is a subform called mail with more info on mail and the primary key is MailID

I need to be able to just browse customer details (not edit as there is a seperate form for that) but to be able to TICK the box in the subform FROM the main form but i cant

The data for a main form and a subform is like a query that has a join. If the resulting query is editable then the main form and subform should be editable. I suspect that a query that uses the Customer details and the Mail information that is joined on the MailID field is not going to be editable.