Question Unanswered: Changing datatype in big table: best way?

Unfortunately, we ran out of integers in a PK column... (Bad design, I know)

We have a table with an Identity column of type int, and since it contains {maxint} rows, no new rows can be added. So that's jst over 2 billion records, and the total data size of the table is about 90 GB.
    So now we want to change the data type to bigint.

What we tried to do it with a simple Alter Table statement, but that results in a logging problem; the 590 GB log file disk runs out of space before the statement is done.

What is the best way to change the data type from int to bigint in a table that contains 2 billions rows?

Possibly create another table with bigint and copy data from older table then; drop older table and rename new table. I would also suggest no keys or index on new table until after it is populated for faster loading. Just my 2 kopets. I am sure there are other ways around this problem that someone else can recommend.

Actually, that's an idea we played with, too. We were also thinking to do the copying in chunks, to prevent the transaction log from getting too big.

This is what we'll try next, after we get the situation back to where it was before last night's failed attempt.

We're still open to other suggestions, though!
    Last edited by ivon; 03-18-10 at 06:55.

A clustered index on the identity would be faster loading than a heap.

I would guess your problem is due to the splits caused by allocating 4 bytes per row. If you defragment your indexes, you could try lowering the fill factor next time to create more free space in the pages.

Another alternative could be to use the negative range of the int.

I assume you don't have any FKs on this either?

I admit these are just ponderings - I can't recall having a problem like this before.

Also, is this FULL or SIMPLE recovery?

It's Simple recovery.

I'm not sure what to make of your comment about the page splits. Do you mean that that is the cause of the huge transaction log?

Using negative integers is a neat idea, but it would lead to the same problem in 5 more years, and then the table would be twice as big.
    Last edited by ivon; 03-18-10 at 07:05.

I can't think of anything else that could cause the log to grow like that apart from page splits. I've worked with some pretty big datasets and ended up with some sizable logs in the process, but 590 GB is beyond what I've ever produced.

If the recovery model is simple then your batch idea will work - but you need to execute a CHECKPOINT command on every iteration to ensure SQL Server recycles the log.

bcp out then bcp in to new table.

I think they mentioned inserts which cause a record to be written for each record inserted. The bcp option noted above (and I eluded) can be used with a fast insert when no keys or indicies are allocated to table. Then add the pk/fk's as required. No copy or inserts, please....

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    I can't think of anything else that could cause the log to grow like that apart from page splits. I've worked with some pretty big datasets and ended up with some sizable logs in the process, but 590 GB is beyond what I've ever produced.

If the recovery model is simple then your batch idea will work - but you need to execute a CHECKPOINT command on every iteration to ensure SQL Server recycles the log.

Quote Originally Posted by PMASchmed View Post
    bcp out then bcp in to new table.
    My original suggestion.

Provided Answers: 11
    Best thing about BCP, is you can specify a batch size, so you will not have to break up the import yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by corncrowe View Post
    I think they mentioned inserts which cause a record to be written for each record inserted. The bcp option noted above (and I eluded) can be used with a fast insert when no keys or indicies are allocated to table. Then add the pk/fk's as required. No copy or inserts, please....
    Nope - monotonically increasing clustered indexes are faster for inserts than heaps. I can provide the references if required.

BCP has an "optimise for order" option too.

snip -- ok -
    Last edited by corncrowe; 03-18-10 at 17:40.