Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Lock Wait problems with DB2 8.2 Express Edition

Hi guys, I’m facing some problems when I install DB2 8.2 Express Edition (fix pack 18) on Windows XP...

After install it and create my database from a backup, if I try to connect with more than 1 client, the second connection status switch to “Lock Wait Time”…

The weird thing is that it’s not happening to all installations, just some of them… and if I do the downgrade to the DB2 6.1, everything works just fine…

Does anyone know what’s happening?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by ricardovp; 03-18-10 at 10:23.

Provided Answers: 5
    What is happening when you are connecting? The connection itself should not wait on anything.

Andy

Sorry Andy, I’ve forgot to say that... I’m running an application that connects to the database (the connection is fine), and when it tries to make a SELECT statement, it locks… I’m doing nothing but SELECT statements in both clients!

Download the monitor located here:

IBM DB2 UDB Performance monitor

Then use it to determine what each application is doing. Obviously one of them is locking out the other.

Andy

Ok Andy, thanks for the monitor... At least now I know which tables are locked, now I just have to know why, because when I change the DB2 to the version 6, this tables are not locked…’m sending a attachment containing the screen of my monitor… Thanks again!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagem.JPG  

Look at the general tab instead of the locks tab. It should show you the SQL statement that are being used.

Andy

I've looked there... But the last command issued was a SQL Close, as you can see here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagem.JPG  

What is the one that is in lock wait trying to execute? You can also look at the Dynamic SQL monitor.

Andy

I've never used this tool. ID 39 is in lock-wait. Is it waiting for ID 8? The last operation of ID 8 is close which is not the same as commit so it may still be holding locks.

Yes, the locks are still held. The first screenshot shows that. I am trying to get the OP to see what statements are being issued. Obviously the application is not using commit to free up the locks.

Andy

Bella, it is a nice tool to get a quick look at your db. plus, it is free
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

I prefer not to use any tools...

I like the website -> chuzhoi

Hi Andy!

I’ve managed to solve this issue! The problem was that my backup file had some problems, and the SYSIBM tables were being created with some mistakes (I don’t know exactly what mistakes, I’m still a beginner in DB2 ). I’ve solve it by creating a new database, and importing my the tables from the old one.

Thanks for your help!!

Ricardo

Hi Bella!

The problem is that the ID-8 was just executing SELECT statements, there was nothing to commit… As I said, the problem was not the application, because when I do the downgrade to the version 6 of the DB2 (and used another backup file to create the database) it works just fine… the problem was the creation of the database with a backup file that has problems…

Thanks for your help!

Ricardo

Where did the backup image come from? V6 or V8? If it was from V6, then the problem is probably that DB2 usually only supports restoring a backup from only 1 prior version level. So restoring a V6 backup to V8 is not supported.

Andy