Unanswered: Access crashes when importing any dbf file

I'm using Access 2003 and when I try to import dbf files, Access crashes on me. When I say crash, it just disappears w/out any warning or error messages. I've already tried repairs and uninstall/reinstall of Office but that hasn't resolved the issue. I also am up to date on all service packs and updates. Not sure what to try next.

Provided Answers: 8
    can you import other files???

2 ideas
    create a OBDC to the dbf file then link ms to that
    or
    can you export the data forn dbf as a CSV file then import the CSV file
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

myle, thank you for the response. I can import other formats. I perform this operation quite regularly(importing dbf into Access) so it is important that I resolve the issue and not have to use work arounds all the time. Yes, I can export the data as a csv and then import the csv into Access. It used to work fine till about 2 or 3 months ago and i'm not sure what happened to cause it to stop working correctly.

I might first try creating a new mdb and then try importing the dbf (manually - ie. File -> Get External Data -> Import) just to quickly see if something with that specific mdb isn't the issue. I'm assuming you've debug/compiled the code as well as compact/repair the mdb.

Are you importing the dbf using the dbaseIII or dbaseIV driver? I found importing using the dbaseIII driver to be the best.

You can also try updating the MDAC. Although rare, I've occasionally had to do this to fix importing/exporting issues with specific drivers. Re-installing Office doesn't always fix MDAC issues but you can download MDAC from Microsoft and install it separately. I had to do this once when another program I installed somehow corrupted the MDAC and re-installing Office didn't resolve the issue. Since importing depends on MDAC and the drivers, this is a possibility.

Also, is this for 'any' dbf file or just 1 specific dbf file? Does importing these same dbf files work on any other computer? Can you import a dbf that you know worked before?

Another 'weird' quirk I've found (when MSAccess crashes as you've described) is when a default printer has changed on the computer (I know this sounds like it wouldn't be related but for some reason, not having a good default printer on the computer causes MSAccess to suddenly crash.)

I've imported lots of dbf files into MSAccess and have rarely had problems except with 'bad' dbf files where something changed with the way they were exported from the source (ie. they started exporting as another dbf format). Bad data in the dbf itself could also be problematic (especially with bad date values such as 12/42/167). The problem you've described seems either related to that specific mdb, to the dbf driver (MDAC) MSAccess uses, or a problem with the specific dbf file where something has changed.

Please let me know if another mdb file (or trying it on another computer) works for importing the dbf file (or how you solved it). I'm very curious.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 03-19-10 at 19:59.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I'm using Access 2003 and when I try to import dbf files, Access crashes on me..
    -----------
    dbf...It is dBASE or FoxPro, Sigle-Table/Multi-Table-DBC ?
    15 years db-programmer(dBase,FoxPro,MS Access 2002/2003),Symbian C++

pkstormy, thank you for the response. I've tried importing different dbf files into different mdb's so I don't think its an issue w/a particular dbf or mdb. I've also tried using dbase III, IV and V.

I've tried importing dbf's on other computers and they work fine so the issue is just on mine. I'm using the field-->get external data-->import method.

When the crash happens, it locks the database/creates an .ldb file. I have to open the db again and close it for the. ldb to go away. When I try to install MDAC, I get the following message:
    MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of Windows. All of its features are currently part of Windows"

As far as the printer goes, I did change the default printer not too long ago, however, I think this issue existed before that. None the less, I tried changing default printers and then importing and that did not resolve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy View Post
    I might first try creating a new mdb and then try importing the dbf (manually - ie. File -> Get External Data -> Import) just to quickly see if something with that specific mdb isn't the issue. I'm assuming you've debug/compiled the code as well as compact/repair the mdb.

Are you importing the dbf using the dbaseIII or dbaseIV driver? I found importing using the dbaseIII driver to be the best.

You can also try updating the MDAC. Although rare, I've occasionally had to do this to fix importing/exporting issues with specific drivers. Re-installing Office doesn't always fix MDAC issues but you can download MDAC from Microsoft and install it separately. I had to do this once when another program I installed somehow corrupted the MDAC and re-installing Office didn't resolve the issue. Since importing depends on MDAC and the drivers, this is a possibility.

Also, is this for 'any' dbf file or just 1 specific dbf file? Does importing these same dbf files work on any other computer? Can you import a dbf that you know worked before?

Another 'weird' quirk I've found (when MSAccess crashes as you've described) is when a default printer has changed on the computer (I know this sounds like it wouldn't be related but for some reason, not having a good default printer on the computer causes MSAccess to suddenly crash.)

I've imported lots of dbf files into MSAccess and have rarely had problems except with 'bad' dbf files where something changed with the way they were exported from the source (ie. they started exporting as another dbf format). Bad data in the dbf itself could also be problematic (especially with bad date values such as 12/42/167). The problem you've described seems either related to that specific mdb, to the dbf driver (MDAC) MSAccess uses, or a problem with the specific dbf file where something has changed.

Please let me know if another mdb file (or trying it on another computer) works for importing the dbf file (or how you solved it). I'm very curious.