Unanswered: SQL Server - Removing Exponential Notation

I am exporting a large amount of data from SQL Server 2005 to Excel. Most of the data appears as I want it to- without the exponential notation. Any values smaller than 0.0001 (i.e. four zeros to the right of the decimal) are displayed as, for example, 7E-05 rather than 0.00007.
    I know that I could use a fixed format, however the values in this field have a broad range of precisions (e.g. 1250, 1.3, 0.00345, 0.000001) and I would like to maintain the original number formats.
    I also realize that Excel can convert exponential notation to non-exponential, however I am including a '<' sign with many values. That being said, I am concatenating a string (with '<') with a numeric field into a new string field before exporting. Unfortunately when Server concatenates this fields it does so with the exponential format so that my values appear as <1E-05.

I know that with Oracle you can use SQLPLUS to set column formats for queries. Is there anything like that which can be used in MS SQL Server?

Thanks in advance...

anyone? no ideas?

Provided Answers: 54
    What is the datatype of the underlying column(s)? SQL Server actually manages your data, the presentation layer (your web page or application like Excel) should manage formatting data for your locale.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat,
    First I am converting a float into varchar
    cast(round(parameter_result.result_value, 8) as varchar(20)) result
    and then I am concatenating the 'result' field with the 'qualifier' (i.e. "<") field in another select statement.
    Obviously SQL Server decides that when the 'result_value' is cast, it is done with the 1E-05 format. That is fine when the result is not less than the value, as applying general number formatting in Excel takes care of it. But when it is <1E-05, then extra steps are required in Excel to deal with it.

I feel dirty
    Code:
    DECLARE    @f  AS FLOAT(53)

SELECT  @f  = 0.0000000001

SELECT  *
          , SUBSTRING(fv, 1, 1 + LEN(fv) - PATINDEX('&#37;[^0]%', REVERSE(fv)))
    FROM    
            (
                SELECT  f       = @f
                      , fv      = CAST(CAST(@f AS DECIMAL(28, 20)) AS VARCHAR)
            ) AS formats
    EDIT - changed for SQL Server 2005 (missed that first time)
    Last edited by pootle flump; 04-06-10 at 15:40.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    I feel dirty
    It's good to know that you're enjoying yourself!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.