Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: certification exams 730 and 731

just passed 731 exam (DBA for LUW). Now I am thinking abt taking 730 exam for z/OS. How different exam for z/OS from exam for LUW? How much do I need to study? And the most important question - does it make sense?

If I am working with DB2 on LUW would it be difficult to work with DB2 on z/OS? I was doing db development on z/OS for few years and remember the tools are all different (Platinum, QMF, etc).
    DB2 9.5/9.7 on Unix/AIX 6.1/Linux

You could have taken 541 - the 9.7 dba exam. I have booked and cancelled for this test a number of times. I have one scheduled for Wednesday and looks like I'll have to cancel again ;-(

Well, if you have already done some work on zOS, there is no harm trying.

More and more application and sql features on zOS are being synced with DB2 LUW.

But, administration is very different.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

well, the books I used (by R.Sanders) are written for DB2 version 9.1 so I had to guess the differences all the time. It would be even more tricky to study for 9.7 using these books. There are not books for v9.5 or v9.7.

So what do they use on z/OS now?

I am using UNIX now and I want to be universal, but afraid to go to back to z/OS as our previous company (abt 500 jobs on z/OS platform) was outsourced by IBM US to China.
    Last edited by MarkhamDBA; 03-29-10 at 15:45.

I think it's better to do DB2 LUW Advanced DBA first and then do z/OS if this is what you really want.

I've been planning to upgrade DB2 LUW DBA and get DB2 z/OS DBA certification for a loooong time but keep procrastinating... Don't really see any benefit of getting this certification paper other than it will force me to learn/refresh skills.

I didn't know that there is a certification 541 for V9.7. I was in the assumption that 734 is the latest one. How to get this updated info ? This is the website which I follow

DB2 9 certification: Everything you need to know

Quote Originally Posted by blazer789 View Post
    I didn't know that there is a certification 541 for V9.7. I was in the assumption that 734 is the latest one. How to get this updated info ? This is the website which I follow

DB2 9 certification: Everything you need to know
    IBM Professional Certification Program - IBM Information Management

I like salary comparison...

@DB2 Finder: Thanks for the information.

Did Roger sander's book come out in the market for 541 certification ? Or Does anyone know of any online material especially for this certification.

Well,
    Did not check yet.
    Did you try to search IBM (developer works) tutorial series.
    These are more than enough for me, if you find one for this exam.

Regards

Provided Answers: 5
    Markham,
    It has been quite a few years since I got certified, but I got certified on both without having worked on LUW. I've worked as a DBA mostly on z/os but have supported it on Linux and windows as well. I didn't think it was too hard, except for getting used to a couple items here and there. The biggest was the reorgs on LUW. Really messed up when I set up a scipt to reorg about 30 large size tables. Then find out they are all running at same time, talk about a little bit of an outage! Never did that one again.
    Dave

I don't think IBM (devoloper works) has published a tutorial series for this test yet.

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    I like salary comparison...
    according to this I am a way underpaid. Especially that I am certified now.

Good discussion everyone. I am the only DBA at my place of work so I have nobody to talk to...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkhamDBA View Post
    according to this I am a way underpaid. Especially that I am certified now.

Good discussion everyone. I am the only DBA at my place of work so I have nobody to talk to...
    So am I.

DBFinder

I think the numbers are 6-7 yrs old and in $US. Consider the exchange rate we had at that time...

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    I think the numbers are 6-7 yrs old and in $US. Consider the exchange rate we had at that time...
    hm, so should it be less or more in Toronto in CAN$?
    I wonder how many DB2 DBAs are unemployed now so if I can re-negotiate my salary or get a new (better paid) job Don't see anything on monster or workopolis.