Unanswered: Oracle Enterprise Mgr 10g (connection failed)

Hello,
    I'm running a 10g database on a Windows 2003 server. I am trying to set up a scheduled backup in Oracle Enterprise Manger, however, after I login into it as SYS (connect as SYSDBA) and attempt to schedule the backup, I get a "Connection to host as user john.doe failed: IOException in sending Request :: Connection refused: connect" error. However, john.doe is a local admin, and a member of the ora_dba group.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this issue? Is there something in the Local Policies that need to be set up?

Oracle Enterprise Mgr 10g (connection failed)

Did you create the password file?
    orapwd file=orapw$ORACLE_SID password=<password> entries=5

tmalone,

OEM an GRID-Cotrol do have their own authorization schema. It is not enough to own a schema in the DB, the user must be registered and authorized.

This has to be done by the OEM/grid-control system user SYSMAN
    "There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible, and wrong."
    -- H.L. Mencken

The peculiar thing about this issue, is that I had no trouble logging in and setting up a backup schedue until recently, using the same OS account. I read somewhere that it could be an issue with the timezone file, however, I went through the supposed steps to remedy it, yet the problem persists.

Can you log in as SYSMAN and check in SETUP->Administrators if your account is still active ?
    "There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible, and wrong."
    -- H.L. Mencken

Magicwang,
    Are you referring to my domain account? When I login a SYS and check SETUP > Administrators I see two accounts: one for SYS, the other for SYSTEM. Should there be one for my domain account as well?

Should there be one for my domain account as well?
    tmalone,

Not your domain account, but the oracle-username you are logging into OEM.

You should see there (provided defaults were chosen at install) at least the following entries:

Name Access
    SYSMAN Repository-Owner
    SYS Superadministrator
    SYSTEM Superadministrator
    <your_oracle_username> Administrator
    OR
    <your_oracle_username> Superadministrator

No Oracle User (even with the DBA role) can access OEM/GRIDControl without being authenticated in the OEM-Repository.
    -- H.L. Mencken

Cool Preferred credentials?

You do not need to "register" in OEM the user which will execute the job, but rather you may need to set the "Preferred credentials" for the WinDoze account that will execute this job, which in turn needs to have the necessary privileges (and access).

PS: Sometimes it is not enough to select the "Save as preferred credentials" in the scheduling window, you need to actually go to Preferences -> Preferred Credentials in OEM.
    Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 04-06-10 at 11:11.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Actually, I went into the OEM SETUP > Administrators and created an account with the same username/pwd as my domain account, then rebooted the server. After that, the OEM allowed me to schedule a backup job, though it's not apparent to me why? In any event, I'm glad I can now schedule a backup. Thanks for the help folks.