Question Database with timeline view

Hello, I was just wondering whether it is possible to have a database backend with a GUI which has not only tabular view but also a timeline view using dates from the database?

Commercially available software if possible but also looking at in-house design.

What language would it be written in?

Thanks

There may be a commercially available product, but you haven't given nearly enough detail for me to even guess at whether or not one exists or how to help you find it.

If you write code yourself, your imagination is the biggest limitation... It is now possible to write nearly any application that people can imagine.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi, sorry to be so vague, but this development is painstaking to withdraw from imaginationland.

First of all, this system is to manage orders in our company.

Each order has a unique name, order status, customer name, delivery address etc..

Each order can have multiple objects (let's say APPLE ) attributed to it.

Each APPLE has it's own weight, price, delivery number, etc... related to it.

I would like to create a portal which reads this information (from the database) and displays it in a Gantt-type chart system which positions the orders horizontally using the dates from the data for each order.

Raw data in this way would be quite messy still, with no way to visualise groupings of customers, unless this is coded as well.

I have seen examples of this type of information display where the chart is zoom-able (or customisable to display month, year, week, daily data), but i am unsure of what language these systems are written. AJAX?

I am well prepared to create this myself, as I have unlimited time constraints and the urge to create something which fills our needs.

I assume the database model would be relational, however would an object oriented model help in coding and/or visualising this system?

If I am still too vague, I'm quite happy to refine further.

Thank you for your responses!

Ah, that helps.

There are many different approaches, all of which can work. I'm both cheap and lazy, but I'm lazier than I am cheap by a slight margin.

Buy a copy of Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition. It shouldn't cost you more than $50 USD, and could be less. Install SQL Server, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services. Spend about a week working through the Adventure Works examples, then after you get the hang of Adventureworks start working on your own data.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.