Unanswered: embarrased but locked out of my own DB

It's a hard thing to admit but being a novice I have locked myself out of my own database (access 2007 but saved as 2000 format). I created a database with a list of users including myself. I assigned 3 people as admins including myself but no one can open the database. The message is that I do not have the necessary permissions to use the database. I used the user-level security wizard but I obviously missed someting. I can open the backup copy but I have made many changes since the last backup. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

There's obviously a very unfortunate thing here that I'm sure you can understand: effectively you are asking how to hack Access security. I appreciate that this is probably your database, however there's nothing to stop someone unscrupulous posting exactly the same message to foster assistance to access someone else's data.

Now, before you get hissy (usually people do) take a moment to stop and think what if someone had taken a copy of your database and was now posting this on here. How pissed would you be if we now helped them access your data?

In short there is not really anything we can do in good conscious to get you in there.

EDIT - further to the above, even if persuaded you are totally legitimate, this is a public forum and any techniques are then available for everyone else to see.
    Last edited by pootle flump; 04-01-10 at 13:42.

thanks very much for the reply. Actually hacking access security was not my intention. I thought there was a step I missed in adding users that I could rectify at this stage. I obviously did something wrong to exclude myself and all other users from opening the data base. I was hoping to learn what the mistake was so I don't repeat it again and properly configure the user settings in the future. I don't even get an opportunity to enter the password I selected for myself. As for the other users, I did not assign passwords to their accounts and yet when they are logged on to their computers they are also not able to access the database (same message appears), why is that? Is it possible for admins to lock themselves out of a database? Perhaps I need to ask what I did wrong going through the User-Level Security Wizard... There were no warning that I saw going throught he wizard that could have prevented this error. Very frustrating...

If you're dealing with an mdw security file, you need to use that mdw as a parameter in the shortcut to the mdb. If you're using the mdw in the shortcut but still can't get in, perhaps you're using the wrong mdw file (they tend to get hidden on the c: drive when MSAccess security is implemented.)

If all else fails (and you're sure that you're using the correct mdw), see here: http://www.dbforums.com/6426828-post91.html
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

thanks again. Here's an update. I started this database in Access 2000 and our IT dept. here at the hospital has upgraded everything to 2007 since. I was able to work on finishing the database in Access 2007 but when I went through the Security Wizard, assigned users etc. Access created a Security.mdw file and that's when I was locked out (although I could still access the backup file). I fear my mistake was that I didn't create an MDE file beforehand, I just went right to the Security Wizard. I managed to have IT hook me up to Access 2000 and I was then able to open the db file. I then had to decrypt the file in 2000, open the decrypted file in 2007 and save it as a 2007 db. So far it seems to have worked but now i'm reticent to apply security features again. maybe I'll do a little reading before hand!

I used Access inbuilt security once, did similar to you and after that always rolled my own. (rolling your own must be on an mde\ accde).

If you are forewarned then the solution is obvious - last thing you do before playing with security is make a copy of your database to roll back to.

Provided Answers: 19
    Per Allen Browne:

ACCDBs do not support security, and Access 2007 does not provide the interface to manage security for MDBs. Use tables attached to a database that has security (SQL Server, MySQL, ...), or attach tables from an MDB and manage them as described in kb 918583, or What happened to User-Level Security at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...345611033.aspx
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Per Allen Browne:

ACCDBs do not support security, and Access 2007 does not provide the interface to manage security for MDBs. Use tables attached to a database that has security (SQL Server, MySQL, ...), or attach tables from an MDB and manage them as described in kb 918583, or What happened to User-Level Security at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...345611033.aspx
    Interesting Missinglinq!
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I have seen this before, so perhaps the following may be of assistance. If a specific security (.mdw) file has not been specified then Access will look for the default file (System.mdw in 2003, perhaps Security.mdw in 2007). If it cannot find a security file, you get the message you have described. It is always good practice to assign a specific security file to a database. This can be done in the security menu for a new database by adding the users then copying everything to a new .mdw file which then becomes the one recognised by the database.
    If you are still relying on the default file, but the system cannot see it, use a batch file similar to the following:

SETLOCAL
    SET WORKDIR=E:\DATA\DUNELM\PROJECTS\CDS_WA\DATA
    SET PATH=%PATH%;%WORKDIR%
    cd %WORKDIR%
    "E:\Program Files\MSACCESS2003\Office11\msaccess.exe" "%WORKDIR%\CaterDB_FOH.mdb" /wrkgrp
    "%WORKDIR%\CATERDB_FOH.mdw \usr "owner"

Substitute the default .mdw file for the one in the script and your user name for "owner". Once you are in, create a specific workgroup file and copy the users into it. So long as the program can see the whole path or the workgroup file is in the same directory as the database, this should get you into the database each time.
    Last edited by Jim Wright; 04-12-10 at 05:00. Reason: TYPOS !!!!