Unanswered: Starting using VB with Access

Hi, I've used Access 2003/2007 all by itself for years, but I'm reaching a point where I need to use more complex functionality with the database than the program by itself provides; Anotherwords I need to start using VB.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good VB for beginners type books that are more geared towards using VB with Access ? or any good websites for VB/Access beginners ?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 14

As a previous vb 5/6 developer (and MSAccess developer since version 1.0), you'll actually lose functionality that you can do with MSAccess. There's nothing I found that I couldn't do with MSAccess that I could do with vb. I can actually do more with MSAccess.

The only thing I found that I can't do with MSAccess is create a stand-alone exe file.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I think (s)he means (s)he wants to use VBA in Access, not VB in Visual Studio.

Good point Pootle (I think I mis-read).

The Developers Handbook to MSAccess is a great book for vba code development (by Sybex). Lots of nice examples.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    I think he means he wants to use VBA in Access, not VB in Visual Studio.
    Thanks for all your suggestions, and you're right, I need to us VBA in Access to get extra functionality out of a database.

VBA is a wonderful language which you'll find many, many benefits using it and doing things you didn't think were possible with MSAccess. But you have to think like Microsoft to learn it. I would start by using the wizard to create a few buttons on a form and then look at the code. Then look at some of the examples posted in the code bank. I learned myself by looking at other coding. Again, the MSAccess Developers book by Sybex is a great book to learn vba.