Unanswered: Textbox value based on listbox selection?

Hello,

I have a listbox on my form which lets me select a library (via the libraryID from tblLibrairies) to view its details.

I also have a query in my database which lists the total of visits to each library.

I want to be able to single-click to select a library in my listbox and have the number of visits for that library displayed in a textbox on my form. How do I achieve it?

Thanks,

Tom
    Last edited by moss2076; 04-06-10 at 13:09.

textbox = name_of_listbox.Column(0)

Keep in mind the listbox is 0 based on the first column... e.g. if you have a listbox with three columns, ID, fname, and lname, and you wanted to store the fname in the textbox, then, on event "after update" for listbox (which is when you select a record from the listbox):

textbox = name_of_listbox.Column(1)

Thanks but all that does is make the textbox display what is in a particular column of the listbox.

I want the textbox to display the number of visits for the selected libraryID - The number od visits is stored a seperate query from the table being used by the listbox.

oh, mis read... basically you need to tailor a query based on your list box selection, and return it's value to the value of the textbox:

Code:
    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim txtBoxToFill As String

strSQL = "SELECT numberOfVisits AS totalVisits FROM tblLibrary WHERE libraryID=" & name_of_listbox.Column(0) & "; "
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    rs.Open strSQL, CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

txtBoxToFill = rs("totalVisits").Value

rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing

Provided Answers: 14
    Or more simply:
    Code:
    Me.TextBox.Value = DLookup("<Total of visits>", "<Query computing totals>", "libraryID=" & Me.ListBox.Column(0))
    Depending on how the database is organized, you could also use the DCount() function.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Or more simply:
    Code:
    Me.TextBox.Value = DLookup("<Total of visits>", "<Query computing totals>", "libraryID=" & Me.ListBox.Column(0))
    Depending on how the database is organized, you could also use the DCount() function.
    I got it with this -
    Code:
    Me.Text47.Value = DLookup("expr1", "qry_arrivals_test", "libraryID='" & Me.lst_library.Value & "'")
    Many thanks to you all for your help!!

Just out of interest, if a library has no arrivals, can a zero be displayed? At the moment the textbox is empty of a library has no arrivals.
    Code:
    Me.Text47.Value = DLookup("expr1", "qry_arrivals_test", "libraryID='" & Me.lst_library.Value & "'")

Provided Answers: 14
    Like this:
    Code:
    Me.Text47.Value = Nz(DLookup("expr1", "qry_arrivals_test", "libraryID='" & Me.lst_library.Value & "'"), 0)
    Have a nice day!