Unanswered: DB2 Migration WSE V9.1 to ESE V9.1

Dear All,

Please help me for migration of my DB2 WSE(Workgroup Server Edition) 9.1 database to DB2 Enterprise Serve Edition 9.1 on AIX OS.

Thanks,

Mohan Reddy

You will probably have to reinstall DB2 using ESE install type (but can use the same DB2 code). That assumes that you selected WSE when DB2 was first installed. Make sure you install the ESE version to a different path than the existing one.

However, if you installed ESE originally, and just created a WSE instance using the ESE install, you do not have to reinstall DB2.

After figuring out the above DB2 code install issues you can backup the database, uncatalog the existing database, drop the old instance, create a new ESE instance (install the ESE license), and re-catalog the database to to the new instance (using a path).

Instead of re-cataloging the database on the new instance, you could use the backup of the old db to restore it in the new instance.

After re-cataloging the existing db (or restoring the backup), you should run the database update utility and rebind the packages, as you would if you installed a new fixpack (see fixpack install instructions).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for reply..

The first query :>I have X server is having db2 WSE V9.1 database and I want migrate the database WSE to ESE on Y server.

Second :> How to migrate the DB2 WSE database V9.1 to DB2 ESE database V9.1 on same server ( WSE is working and I am not installed the ESE till now).

Thanks,

Mohan Reddy

Marcus has given you solution for both your queries.
    Bella's solution is for query 2.

on question 1, it is no different than the normal backup on one server and restore to another. I am sure you already know(or can figure out how to do it).
    If you are not sure, read some docs on backup and restore.

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

I did the same conversion without dropping and recreating the instance. If the WSE binaries are located under /opt/IBM/db2/V9.1, then try to install ESE binaries under different folder. Lets say /opt/IBM/db2/ese/V9.1. After doing it, all you need to do is to run db2iupdt [sudo /opt/IBM/db2/ese/V9.1/instance/db2iupdt <instancename>]. After doing this, you can remove the wse license by usinng db2licm -r <wse product identifier> and add the ese license by using db2licm -a <ese license file> . Once this change has finished, you cand deinstall the wse binaries by using /opt/IBM/db2/V9.1/install/db2_deinstall -a.
    This procedure is for moving the products on the same server.