Question Unanswered: Form Unload Event

Is there a way to keep your "Dirty" text data in their control's upon the form Unload event being called?

I have about 20 - 30 text boxes populated with data, and whenever the user clicks to close the form I am displaying a message box - "are you sure you want to close?" to prevent accidental exiting.

However, once this event is invoked the form's text data is wiped(as it has not been saved - and I don't want it saved at that point)

Is there anyway around having the text data removed, or something I can do to work around these actions of the "unload" event? (Aside from creating 30 different variables to store the text data in individually)

Madison, WI
    You could try the me.undo command. I rarely use the Unload event but instead will put code in a button and control how the form works via it's properties. For example, I'll design my forms as popup = true and modal = true and control the form's closing via a button. (and also set the form's Control Box property to false so the user can't bypass by clicking the X). This gives me much more control over how I want the form to perform.

Otherwise, without declaring a bunch of variables, another option is to simply make the form unbound and write a function to write the data to the table again, when a button is pushed (although this does require a bit of coding for writing 20-30 fields to the table.)

If you want to see an example of how I prevent users from closing the form (and closing MSAccess!), there's a neat little trick I use - see here: or here:

Notice in the examples, I open a 'MainFormBackground' and maximize it as my startup form. In the OnOpen event of the MainFormBackground, I'll then open my popup/modal menu form. This essentially disables the MSAccess top menus (but does allow the menu when print previewing.) I use this trick all the time and it works very well. Plus, I like the ability of total control on the flow of the program and forms via using popup/modal forms.

For an unbound form example:

for additional form controlling features (and making some neat looking form designs), see here:
    Last edited by pkstormy; 04-07-10 at 22:55.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)