Unanswered: Password to enter data

Hi all,

I have a huge problem. I have started a small database, just for myself, and now the whole company uses it for various things. Now, my question to you clever guys; Is there a way that I can place a button on a form, and when the person clicks on the button, his login password (Access 2003) is then required. After correct entering of the password, a word must be placed into a field

You want to password protect a single field yes? They can use the entire database but can only enter data in to one field if they enter the correct password?

That can work too! Can I put a permission a field so that only permitted users can enter data into that field? The other idea I had, and this is a huge loop, was to create a button the user can click. And after he clicked the button, a screen pops up and asks for the login password. After the users enter his correct password, he can enter the data. I like your idea. Please avise if I can do thnat, and if I can, how?

I personally don't like making users enter a password but instead, utilize a 'user' type table which has 2 fields, LoginID (text type) and SecurityLevel (integer type). (ie. 1 for basic security, 2 for a higher level, 3 for advanced level, etc..) Then using the getuser() method (in the code bank) to automatically grab the user's windows loginID, I match that against the user table to retrieve the user's security level. If they have a certain level (ie. 3), I then enable/disable or make visible/invisible certain fields on the form.

Here's an example if you're interested: http://www.dbforums.com/6332819-post68.html

You can't password protect a specific single field as far as I know.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 04-08-10 at 22:07.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

This ^^^^^^^^

Pootle,

This ^^^^^^^^

??
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Same as "+1".
    Agreeing with you!