Unanswered: Odd problem with rights

Hi,

I have a Access 2003 secured database with the MDW file and full administrative rights as the creator of the database.

Anyhow, I've recently started using Access 2007 and found it doesn't have that same security feature openly available for some reason
    Although, I found a way to still use that MDW file and database here :
    How to use the Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2007

So everything is working ok, and I can access the database again, except
    the problem I'm running into now is when I go into the "users and permission settings" to change settings, for some reason when I try change permissions for "database", "forms" and "reports" the second column where it has "read data", "insert data", "updata data", and "delete data" are all greyed out and unmodifiable !

Is this a known bug with Access 2007 ? is there a solution or work around ?
    Or maybe I missed something, idk.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Pathology; 04-09-10 at 09:39.

Provided Answers: 2
    There is no user security in Access 2k7.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Quote Originally Posted by weejas View Post
    There is no user security in Access 2k7.
    Yes there is, but it requires running some code as per Microsoft's website on the issue : How to use the Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2007

Like I say, for some reason when I try change permissions for "database", "forms" and "reports" the second column where it has "read data", "insert data", "updata data", and "delete data" are all greyed out and unmodifiable.

I've tried using repair database and that didn't fix it.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem ? perhaps something I overlooked ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Pathology; 04-09-10 at 09:39.

I figured this was a rare problem, I can't find anything on the internet on how to fix it.

So now I'm going on the assumption the security MDW file has somehow been corrupted.

So I'll try unsecuring the database, then recreate a new secured database.

This is what I'm trying now :
    1. I open my secured 2003 database in 2007
    2. I decoded the database and saved it
    3. I opened the decoded database and then saved it as a 2007 .accdb database
    4. Then I pointed the program back to the original MDW file that comes with Access 2007
    5. Then I opened the 2007 .accdb file, and it opens fine, I'm assuming at this point the security features I originally had are gone, right ?
    6. Now when I try saving the file as in the 2002-2003 file, it gives me the following error : "You do not have the neccessary permissions to use the "C:--file path-.new-decoded-2003.mdb" object. Have your system administrator or the person that created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you"

Why won't it let me save the 2007.accdb file in the 2002-2003 access database format ?

Thanks.

I figured a way around the problem.

After step 3, I needed to create a new blank database and import
    all the tables, reports, etc. into the new blank database.

Now the new blank database is completely free of any security, so I can re-create a new MDW file.

Nevermind, I got it fixed finally
    Last edited by Pathology; 04-11-10 at 16:12.