Unanswered: auto increment integer field on new record

Hi All,
    I'm new to Access and foolishly volunteered to create a Access DB for my camera repair store's invoicing system I'm stuck on what I would think would be a fairly simple process and I was hoping to get some help from the peeps on this forum.

Basically, I've got an invoice table and I want to auto-update the invoice number (starting from 55208) every time a new record is created. I've come up with this code so far:

Dim intTestInt As Long

intTestInt = Me.Label10.Caption
    intTestInt = intTestInt + 1
    Me.Label10.Caption = intTestInt

which works fine but I don't know how to tie it in properly to my database. Thanks for helping a noob!

Nick

Just use the autonumber data type - it will do this for you. There are lots of long winded and complicated reasons why rolling your own is not a good idea but I won't bore you with them.

Hi Pootle Flump,
    Thanks! I'll give that a try

Nick

Provided Answers: 6
    I would tend to agree but want to point out the caveat that autonumbers can skip numbers under certain conditions (for instance when a new record is started but aborted). Often times invoice systems can't use autonumber because of this (audit issues). If that's not a problem, I'd certainly stick with the autonumber. If not, you'll need to go another way.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by intergnat1 View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm new to Access and foolishly volunteered to create a Access DB for my camera repair store's invoicing system I'm stuck on what I would think would be a fairly simple process and I was hoping to get some help from the peeps on this forum.

Basically, I've got an invoice table and I want to auto-update the invoice number (starting from 55208) every time a new record is created. I've come up with this code so far:

Dim intTestInt As Long

intTestInt = Me.Label10.Caption
    intTestInt = intTestInt + 1
    Me.Label10.Caption = intTestInt

which works fine but I don't know how to tie it in properly to my database. Thanks for helping a noob!

Nick
    If the above code works and you just want to write the value to field in the table, couldn't you simply add this code to the end of your code:

me!MyFieldName = intTestInt

Or using vba...
    Public Function writeInvoice(InvNum as variant, RecID as variant) (where RecID is the unique identifier for the specific record.)
    Dim rs as adodb.recordset
    set rs = new adodb.recordset
    dim strSQL as string
    strSQL = "Select * from MyTableName where MyRecIDField = " & RecID & ""
    rs.open strSQL, currentproject.connection, adopendynamic, adlockoptimistic
    rs!InvoiceField = InvNum
    rs.update
    rs.close
    set rs = nothing
    end function

and then you'd call the function as such:
    call writeInvoice(intTestInt, me!RecordID)
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

pbaldy - I've heard the point you bring up before and that was why I steered clear of autonumber in the first place. Absolute invoice number linearity is not essential but I would much prefer it to having sequence holes.

pkstormy - I would really prefer to go the route you specified with code but I think I need a bit more hand holding if you don't mind. Where do i declare Public functions in the code? Under (General)? Also, where would I call the function if I wanted the InvoiceID field to autofill when I create a new record?
    Last edited by intergnat1; 04-09-10 at 16:46.

Provided Answers: 14
    Why don't you compute it from the Invoice table:
    Code:
    Dim NewInvoiceNumber as Long
    NewInvoiceNumber = DMax("InvoiceNumber", "Invoice") + 1
    Have a nice day!

Sinndho - The DMax function worked GREAT!!!! Exactly what I needed! Thank you all very much for all of your help!!

Nick