Thread: What is DBase?

Unanswered: What is DBase?

Hi,

Can you help me with DBase? I need to know why it is out of the market. What was wrong with it? What were its advantages? Was it open source or proprietary? I need to compare it with Oracle and MySQL with respect to its efficiency, ease of use, memory consumption, accuracy and any criteria used to compare databases.

Thanks a lot.

Provided Answers: 59
    dBase was one of the first PC databases, massiey successfull inits time, was always propriatory.. published by Ashton Tate, launched IIRC as dBase II. fileformat became a defacto standard, adoptedby other developers, led to xBase, Clipper FoxPro.

didn't make the transition into the windows/GUI world. largely replaced as a desktop dbby Access amongst others

as regards to
    I need to compare it with Oracle and MySQL with respect to its efficiency, ease of use, memory consumption, accuracy and any criteria used to compare databases.
    I'm pretty certain Google cn help you with your homework
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by hillu View Post
    Hi,

Can you help me with DBase? I need to know why it is out of the market. What was wrong with it? What were its advantages? Was it open source or proprietary? I need to compare it with Oracle and MySQL with respect to its efficiency, ease of use, memory consumption, accuracy and any criteria used to compare databases.

Thanks a lot.

dBase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you read deeply enough into this article you will see that the original product was public domain.
    I worked on Univac 1108 's at that time

Thanks a lot guys. Your replies were very helpful.

it also isn't a database server, where the others mentioned are.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

No.6, 4th Block, Treasury Layout, Bogadi II Stage (South) Mysore 570 026 SOUTH INDIA
    Quote Originally Posted by hillu View Post
    Hi,

Thanks a lot.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dBase was orginally DOS based DBMS software

As the technology moved from CUI to GUI, GUI products became more attractive and CUI had to take back seat.

DOS based dBase is even today very useful, suitalbe for small bussiness applications.

You may wonder when I tell you that I still work with DOS based dBase
    which produces web deployable reports.

Handling of data tables, accessing and modifying data, generating various types of reports all are very easy. Here you have the frontend and backend
    at one place. Ease of creating applications will be know when one really works
    with it.

It was not open source.

dBase Plus is the GUI version of DOS based dBase

Oracle, MySql are RDBMSs which is essential for very big business houses
    which will have millions or billions of records to maintain.

dBase IV is capable of handling a million records per file

G.BADARIVISHAL
    gbadarivishal@yahoo.co.in
    29-05-2010