Unanswered: Online backup with compress option

Hi,

I just tried an online backup of our database ( around 67GB in size) with the 'COMPRESS' option.. here is the command --

time db2 backup database dbname online to /path1/path2 COMPRESS include logs

The backup image came out to be 22GB in size.. def. a big drop from the original. Do I need to give any other keyword when I restore the database from the Compressed image? Or will the regular command that I run to restore work... here is the command that I usually run ---

db2 restore db dbname from /path1/path2/ taken at logtarget /home/db2inst/logs/ REPLACE EXISTING

No, you do not need to include any reference to compression when you restore if you used the default compression library (you did) during backup.

Sometimes, when you restore to different DB2 release, it can casue a problem in this regard, but it can be fixed in those cases. This only occurs in certain situaitons, and not every different release.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Side question. Shop where I am right now does not do db backups. So, it has been a while for me. Looking at the info provided by original poster is it safe to say that COMPRESS option would cut db image by 1/3 of db size as a general rule? I know noone can guaranty it, but what is the avg expectation?

Thank you
    --

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar8000 View Post
    Side question. Shop where I am right now does not do db backups. So, it has been a while for me. Looking at the info provided by original poster is it safe to say that COMPRESS option would cut db image by 1/3 of db size as a general rule? I know noone can guaranty it, but what is the avg expectation?

Thank you
    Compress option will usually cut size of backup image by more than a third.

Not sure what you mean by "Shop where I am right now does not do db backups." Does that mean someone else does them for you, or does it mean you have a standing job offer from another company any thime you want it?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    Compress option will usually cut size of backup image by more than a third.

Not sure what you mean by "Shop where I am right now does not do db backups." Does that mean someone else does them for you, or does it mean you have a standing job offer from another company any thime you want it?
    I am not sure how much more I should go into it

Thank you for the sizing info
    --

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Cool.. No alerts for backup failures in the middle of the night ..

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar8000 View Post
    Shop where I am right now does not do db backups.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.