Thread: .bak to SQL

Unanswered: .bak to SQL

Hi Everybody,

I recently took control of a domain and hosting (Windows).

The website transferred successfully apart from the SQL databases, which are in the format of .bak. When attempting to upload the back up file to our go-daddy database area (for restoring), we are prevented due to the .bak not being created by go-daddy (apparently due security reasons).

As my knowledge of this area is non-existent, I can only imagine that we need to extract the databases from the .bak file and re upload.

I only have a mac, so I am unable to download MS Server Studio Express to extract the files, which I have read via Google.

Can anybody help?

Many Thanks

Dave

Possibly rename the .bak to something acceptable for the upload and then rename it back to .bak once it's on the site? Or get them to change their policies a bit?

Provided Answers: 54
    Go-Daddy will no longer allow you to upload a BAK file to their servers. This is actually a Microsoft "best practice" recommendation for hosting services. Go-Daddy's policy and reasoning is explained here.

Go-Daddy will allow you to upload CSV formatted data and load that into a database on their servers. That process is described here.

You can extract the data from your BAK file into one or more CSV files using SQL Server on a Mac, but the process isn't for the faint of heart. Operative word being "think", I think you can engage Go-Daddy support at an additional charge to do this for you.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks tosscrosby, unfortunately I had no luck with renaming the .bak file.

Also thanks Pat Phelan for your detailed reply. I spoke with Go-Daddy they mange to guide me through a resolution.

The only problem now is that the website is still really slow loading! I cannot tell if the delay is due to databases not loading or aspx!

Here's the link: http://www.surrey-quays.co.uk/

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    Wow, you weren't kidding that the site is slow to load! I waited about 300 seconds and gave up.

Without detailed analysis there is no way I could even guess at where the problem lies. I'm very familiar with Go Daddy, I live less than 200 Km from there and considered working for them at one point. I'm no help to you because I know literally nothing about your web site.

At least in my opinion, you'd be well served to find a strong consultant and pay for a day or two of their time to get the site properly configured and documented. That will probably cost you several hundred pounds, but it will also probably be money well spent in terms of the toll that trying to run without help will take on your sanity.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I'm very familiar with Go Daddy, I live less than 200 Km from there and considered working for them at one point.
    Sorry Pat, but I'm having trouble picturing you in a commercial with Danica. Better stick to the database stuff.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Yeah - I loaded that site and browsed off somewhere else. It must have taken 5 mins.

Given this is a commercial venture I would agree with Pat. Having it hosted elsewhere limits how much help I could give (for example) since I am not familiar with the restrictions Go Daddy presumably puts on you regarding the tools you can use.

Provided Answers: 11
    One thing to follow up on would be whether indexes and primary keys got created in the database. If you have simply imported the CSV data, not only would no indexes be created by default, everything may be defined as nvarchar(255).

Thumbs up

main page load in 3 sec .

register page load in 0.2 sec .

and every thing else failed