Unanswered: Looking for practice suggestions?

<< I am not attending college courses. My aunt is supplying SQL Server 2005 so that I can learn how to make databases. I may have questions but I'm not a college student, I'm just curious >>

Yesterday I made a really simple database for my aunt, in Access. I had learned to use Access to some degree (it was high school, so we didn't go into great depth). While I enjoy Access and recognize its usefulness with small databases, I would like to become familiar with at least a couple other types of databases. I love puzzles and making something that fulfills a purpose.

The DB I just finished had one data table, three queries (two "Like" one-field queries, and one "<> Null" one-field query), and a custom form. It was little, but relational, with an auto-increment "Invoice Number" primary key and everything. It was challenging, but fun.

Now I'd like something else to work on, possibly with more than one data table, but I can't find any suggestions online. Most suggest starting with a contact list or something along those lines, but I already did something almost identical. I want to build, and improve on what I've learned!

Think I could get any assistance in the name of insatiable knowledge desire?

Provided Answers: 54
    Tell us about something that you like to do... Read books, listen to music, create (play) music, build models (either kit or scratch), etc. Once we have a handle on what interests you and what you know about, we can make suggestions that should interest you and ought to offer some challenges as well as something you can take away and use once you're done.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I enjoy reading, writing, listening to music, chatting, and I help my aunt in her computer shop.

Ever play golf?
    Create a database that can keep track of golfing scores, and calculate handicaps.

This requires more than at first appears. Each golf course has what is called a slope and rating so it can be compared with other courses. Each hole on a course has a handicap. Each hole has up to five tees with differing yardage that, as far as numbers go, make it up to four courses.

And of course, each golfer has multiple scores to track.

This can be a web based project. Then you must implement a somewhat secure method of letting people register and sign on to track their scores.

I have started this myself but keep getting stuck. Maybe now I ought to get serious about it.

Provided Answers: 54
    There's the ever popular catalog for either books or recordings. Figuring how to deal with collaborations, generas, etc. takes more work than most people would guess.

Chatting can be really simple if you use a single medium (such as SMS or MSN), or wildly complex if you try to deal with a large selection of media (Jabber and ICQ can be real challenges).

Writing can be a fun one to try to computerize / fit into a database. When I'm writing I use a technique where I doodle small "thought clouds" and connect them with different kinds of lines. This diagramming allows an outline-like representation to grow in two dimensions to give me both speed and clarity. Figure out how that matches your writing process, and you could have a real winner on your hands!

There are literally thousands of things that are kept on lists in a computer shop. Everything from inventory to customers to sales and all of the tidbits in between. There are probably 100 lists that she's got now, but 1000 more that she could use if she had a way to organize, manage, and relate them!

Do any of these ideas sound like fun or a challenge?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Wow, all of those sound fun. I'm working on lists and things for her shop during the week, but I think the writing one sounds really interesting. That would be really interesting to get going. Thank you so much! I'll start playing around with ideas on that one.