Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: getting rid of Access 2007 GUI

i have nearly completed my database and i want to view it as an application alone now - its nothing major just a small db. when i click on the file (my database file) i dont want to see access 2007 open with all the access options - i want just my db to open - how do i get rid of all the access 2007 stuff?

im new to macros and vba by yhr way

These examples work with MSAccess 2003 but I'm not sure about 2007: http://www.dbforums.com/6301669-post51.html

One of the examples removes all of the MSAccess Menus and information and shows just the form. But again, I'm not sure how it works with 2007. Perhaps you can make it work.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks for this

ive downloaded the samples but im not sure what to do with them! - its just a database form?

I believe this is really seriously involved in 2007. I looked in to this in Excel and my jaw dropped at what was required. I seem to recall it involving some writing some bespoke XML fragments (in another tool) and inserting this in to the 2007 file XML.

If it is the same for Access then this is a serious undertaking.

I would certainly recommend googling around - I'm not all that involved in this forum any more but it seems that most of the regular respondents don't really use 2007 much.

Thanks pootle flump - what would i google though - ive tried "getting rid of access 2007 toolbars" etc but google doesnt seem to understand exactly what i want....

It is called the "ribbon" in office 2007

Provided Answers: 1
    You know, the GUI and everything that can be created with the GUI is what makes Access a decent utility...

If you just need a straight-up database with no forms/reports/etc, you may want to consider using a different product. Have you given any thought to going the way of SQL Express/MySQL/etc?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

ive actually completed the whole database and it took a while so i dont think i will be using a different product and starting over...

Provided Answers: 1
    If it's just tables and relationships, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours to pull that in to another product, assuming it's pretty complex. More like a half hour if it's fairly straight forward...

Anywho, it's probably worth a gander to see if it would be worth a few hours worth of effort. Compared to the competition Access is really, REALLY good at rapidly developing forms and reports. However, Access also pales in comparison to the competition when looking at raw horsepower and features out of the sql engine itself. So if you're not using the forms and reports...

After reviewing the options it may not make sense for you to consider anything other than Access. It would be a shame if it DID make a great deal of sense and you didn't look though...
    Last edited by Teddy; 04-20-10 at 10:49.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Looking at redsky's posts Teddy I think (s)he has created forms and reports - it is the Access ribbon he wants to lose. He has developed an application, not just a database.

hi there,

i have a database with approx 10 forms and 10 reports with some queries and macros so its an application and i want it to look like an application, not an access 2007 file...

i could do this easily in 2003 but 2007 is just odd...

Quote Originally Posted by redsky View Post
    but 2007 is just odd...
    I think the old timers here would agree, and that's the main reason none of us have got our heads round it yet.

I do this with my application. It's a little involved, but not really hard... First, before you do anything, make a copy of your source. Once you do this, it's a royal pain to try to back it out again.

1. Click on the Office Button (like you're opening a new file), and click on the Access Options button at the bottom.
    2. On the Popular (Default) link, browse for and select your Default Database Folder in the Creating databases section.
    3. On the Current Database link, in the Application Options section:
    a. enter a name for your application
    b. HIGHLY IMPORTANT... In the Display Form drop-down list, select which form you want your application to open when you launch it.
    c. uncheck Display Status Bar, Display Document Tabs, and Use Access Special Keys
    4. In the Navigation section, uncheck Display Navigation Pane.
    5. In the Ribbon and Toolbar Options section, uncheck both checkboxes.
    6. On the Customize link, set up any toolbar menu items you may want to keep (I usually only include the Linked Table Manager).
    7. When you click on the OK button, you'll get a dialog box saying that you'll have to re-open the database for the changes to take effect. DON"T DO THAT YET!!!
    8. First, at the main window, click on the Database Tools tab.
    9. Click on the Make ACCDE button and save your .ACCDE form to some folder (typically, where you store the source .ACCDB file).
    10. Close everything out.
    11. Set up a shortcut on your desktop to the .ACCDE file you just created.
    12. When you double-click on the shortcut, your form will launch minus all of the Access GUI stuff.

This is the point I was emphasizing at first. When you try to open up the .ACCDB file again, the Access GUI stuff will also be missing since you changed all of the Access Option information. Delete that .ACCDB file and copy the backup file you made before all of the changes were made. That way, you'll have your original source (.ACCDB) and your executable form (.ACCDE), too.

that's great i will definitly give this a go and report back...but first i have some code that needs sorting out!!

That looks like a good post there deminiek. The question next would be can you do that programmatically so the MDE automatically locks itself down? Doing that manually on every release sounds like a real PITA.