Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Disable/Prompt to go into Design View

Hi, I need a little help please

I have developed a database in Access 2003, which is working fine, I dont want to go down the rout of setting up user groups unless I have to, for I always seem to get it wrong , so is there away of I can get the database to prompt for a password if the user tries to go into design view of forms / queries etc..

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi Mark,

You may want to take a look at this example: http://www.dbforums.com/6332819-post68.html

if you're interested. It's an easy way to setup permissions.

Otherwise, the FORM property you're looking for is the 'Allow Design Changes' which allows the user to right-click and select design view (in an mdb/or accdb) while viewing the actual form. I would highly encourage making an mde (or accde) of the database though as this prevents seeing the design view or code.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 1
    Thanks for your advice Pkstormy,

I will create the a mde version for now, but reading your link is very interesting.

I know how to create the Mde version, but will this stop all design views in all areas, eg form / queries / macro's etc.., for I have already had one user tinkering with a form and queries

Mark

It will prevent changing forms and reports, not queries.

If you are able, I would define a service agreement with your clients. Support is provided to unmodified applications. Any user modifications result in withdrawal of support. Depending on your work circumstances you may require your managers weight behind this however (s)he is unlikely to be happy with allocating your time (a resource) fixing other people's tinkering.

In short, unless you fear malicious intent or have some standards you are required to meet (in which case you need to ramp security up much higher) then I would consider this a business issue rather than a technical one.

Also, it might be worth speaking with the client to see why they are changing things - it might provide insight to help you improve the application. For example, I wrote a utility that allowed exporting of all queries to Excel so users could fiddle about with data to their heart's content rather than mucking about with queries.

Provided Answers: 19
    And because we see people crying the blues on a regular basis because of this, I'll add the reminder keep a copy of the mdb file in a safe place! You'll need it for later modifications if necessary!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

how to set a password in ms access 2003 design view? Please help me.

how to protect a table design view. Please help me.