Unanswered: Connecting to Oracle db from SQL Server

I'm trying to help out one of our developers but we're running into issues getting SQL Server to talk to our Oracle databases.

I'm running SQL Server 2008 64bit on a Windows Server 2003 R2 machine. Trying to connect to an Oracle 10gR2 database.

I have the 64bit Oracle 10gR2 installed on the server and I can correctly TNSPING the database and I have created the appropriate entry in the ODBC Data Source Administrator (and can successfully test the connection).

However, going into Visual Studio and then the Server Explorer, I try to create an Oracle data source using the .Net Framework Data Provider for Oracle. When I enter the server name (which is actually the database name) and the user/pass, I get the following error when I try to test the connection: "Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur then running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed."

I even tried installing the Oracle 11gR2 64bit client but got the same error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 6
    What about seeting up a linked server from sql server to oracle?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    Did you install the "special" 10.2.0.4 client for 64 bit Windows 2008/Vista? Also, as part of the install, was the Oracle .NET provider installed (separate from the Oracle Net install)?

Looks like our developer found a white paper on this issue. She had to install both the 32bit and 64bit clients and then mess with the path environment variable. Don't know what caused us to have to do this. Some Windows patch possibly.

Can you link the whitepaper?

My developer just sent the PDF to me in an email. I've uploaded to Google Docs. Let me know if you can view it (now sure how the sharing works).

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...MTkwZWM4&hl=en

Looks like I can not get to it, since I do not have a Google account. Did the developer get the white paper from Oracle, or some other source?

Didn't even realize I can attach in the message board.

Thanks .