Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: All databases became read-only

Hi

Today, all my Access databases have become read only, including all my backups. All databases are on my local HDD.

I'm using Access 2007 and the databases are mostly in 2002-2003 format.

Any suggestions ? I guess it should be simple, but I didn't find a solution yet.

Thanks
    LR

Provided Answers: 19
    I've had entire folders become read-only without really knowing why. The only thing I've ever been able to accredit it to is that it always happens after running an anti-virus scan, and even that is iffy.

First thing I'd do is go into Windows Explorer and check the files properties to see if they're marked Read-Only.

Good luck!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks for your reply.

File and folder properties are all fine.

The affected files are in many different folders on my local C: drive

This is really killing me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

I have restored backups which I've taken to external devices and these too are read only !

I've restored the very same databases before and used them with no problem. This is crazy.

I can open the databases if I email them to a different computer. What is going on ?

I'm assuming your not using MSAccess security. So the 2nd question is if you put them in a brand newly created folder where you have full permissions, do the databases open ok?

If so, check with the network guys to see if they have something running which is modifying permissions. Some backups (as mentioned), may change the attributes of the folders themselves and we all know that a folder MUST have read/write permissions for ALL users of that mdb file to work in that folder or you'll have problems.

You can also try deleting and re-creating the folder. If that works, I'd suspect something is going on nightly that is changing the attributes of that folder.

Can you clarify though exactly what you mean by 'all my databases have become read-only'? I'm worried that you're confusing a typical error with something else (for example, it says the db is 'locked by another user' or something to that affect which is something totally different!)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 04-27-10 at 21:23.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

No, they don't open OK if I put them in a new folder where I have full permissions. The problem remains. They don't open no matter which location I put them.

This is a standalone PC, there are no network guys to check with. It's just me, on my own, at home !

When you say they don't open, what exact error are you getting?

Have you debug/compiled the code and compacted/repaired the mdb?

Yes I have compacted/repaired the mdb.

There is no code. Only tables and queries. I can't even open a query to modify it

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy View Post
    When you say they don't open, what exact error are you getting?
    There is no error. They just open as "read only"

I have uninstalled Office 2007 and reinstalled it, and everything is now back to normal.

Can anyone advise what could have caused this ? I lost a whole day of work time on this, and as the the anxiety it caused..........

The only thing I could 'guess' that would've been an issue is that some setting in the Tools -> Options - Advanced tab (I'm not sure where this setting is located in 2007 though) for MSAccess might possibly have been changed (such as "Default Record Locking" was changed from No Locks to All Records) which re-installing office/MSAccess would've changed back. You could test by finding this setting again (which I don't know where it is in 2007) and changing it and then changing it back to see if that was the issue since that now would make sense (and affect all databases you open).

Usually one doesn't mess with these global MSAccess type settings so that might be a reason it was difficult to originally diagnose your problem. It's usually related to MSAccess security, coding, or some other reason (although it dawned on me that this could be the reason after you said re-installing worked).
    Last edited by pkstormy; 04-28-10 at 23:00.

The problem has re-occured ! ! !

I can't find any option for record locking.

It is affecting all my databases (again) !

If I create a new database, then all seems fine until I close and re-open it, and then it becomes read only

Any more ideas ?

FWIW I ran the MS Office diagnostics and it said there were no problems.