Thread: book reviews

Unanswered: book reviews

Hi to all,

This may be off topic or not really appropriate for this section in the forum, but it still points to database programming in VB6.

I want to know if anyone has any experience buying/reading books from this site:
    accounting software using visual basic and c#

Some of the books are:
    1. Develop An Accounting Package Using visual basic 6.0"(Client/Server Edition)
    2. Database Programming using visual basic 2005, C # and SQL Server 2005
    3. Develop your own Web Accounting Application using ASP.Net
    4. Develop an ERP Software using VB and SQL Server (2005 and 2008)

If anyone has bought or read this book, please tell me about your thoughts on them.

Many thanks!
    Programming is fun!

I've never heard of them - how did you come across them? Why are you considering them particularly?
    I would not consider buying technical books from a web site that has typos, misspellings and errors strewn across the front page. I also see no MS accreditations\ partner information which is another red flag.

I read books from publishers like Osbourne, Wrox, MSPress etc. - I certainly wouldn't purchase something that doesn't even list the authors.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    I've never heard of them - how did you come across them? Why are you considering them particularly?
    I just stumpled upon them when I did a query search at Google. Yes, you are right, it seems that they do not list the authors of the book. But they do have a valid ISBN number. One thing is that the book is not available at common bookstores and available only through order.

If you would look at it, the determining factor may be the price. The price of the books are no different from the price of well-know computer programming publishers. If that is the price range then it would not make sense to consider it if you compare it to the credibility of the well-known publishers.

I think this was made by an Indian author, and the problem is that the credentials of the author is not shown in the site.

I posted it here hoping that someone had gotten a review of it.
    By the way, any "very good/worthwhile" books anyone of you can recommend about:
    1. creating business components
    2. client/server/N-tier architecture using Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010 + VB/C# (preferrably VB)
    3. programming distributed components/objects

That's all! Good to do some book searching.
    Many thanks!
    Programming is fun!

Actually, I did find one of the books on Amazon. Based on that, I found the author names. I also googled to see if anyone had reviewed their work or recommended it. Lo and behold, the most common recommendations were on forums...by a user with the same first name as one of the authors.

Anyway, I can't help with your requirements - I'm heavily database biased in my reading.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    Actually, I did find one of the books on Amazon. Based on that, I found the author names. I also googled to see if anyone had reviewed their work or recommended it. Lo and behold, the most common recommendations were on forums...by a user with the same first name as one of the authors.
    Yes you are very right. The first name of the author is what appears on the forums.

Anyway, I can't help with your requirements - I'm heavily database biased in my reading.
    I understand, so how about recommending these database books? Maybe the ones that stand-out? Database theory and MySQL to be specific.

Thanks
    Programming is fun!

For theory I have read (after so many recommendations from others) Chris Date's Introduction to Database Systems. I also have some books that came with a post-grad database course I did which is excellent for relational calculus and algebra especially, but I don't know how you could get hold of these.
    mySQL I don't know

hey thanks!
    Programming is fun!