Unanswered: Recover Hold'em app data after Postgres reinstall

Hello, I have been using PostgreSQL for an application called 'Holdem Manager' which stores data from poker games. I have had a big problem recently with my PostgreSQL application, from the Net. Framework 3.5 that got corrupt and then killed my old database. I have lost my password for it, and seem to get a heap of error messages when trying to log into my PostreSQL database. eg. errors: - in order from date (older to newer).
    - FATAL: syntax error in file "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\postgresql.conf" line 1, near end of line
    - FATAL: could not create lock file "postmaster.pid". Permission denied
    - 2010-04-28 18:49:34 GMT FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid" already exists
    2010-04-28 18:49:34 GMT HINT: Is another postmaster (PID 3304) running in data directory "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data"?- FATAL:
    - FATAL:
    - FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets
    - FATAL: the database system is starting up
    - FATAL: database "GTR32" does not exist

- ERROR: index "compiledresults_month_idx1" does not exist
    STATEMENT: DROP INDEX compiledresults_month_idx1
    - ERROR: relation "playerhandscashkeycolumns_idx2" already exists
    STATEMENT: CREATE INDEX playerhandscashkeycolumns_idx2
    ON playerhandscashkeycolumns
    USING btree
    (pokerhand_id);
    - ERROR: function getmatchingcompiledplayerresults(integer, integer, timestamp without time zone, timestamp without time zone, integer[]) does not exist
    STATEMENT: DROP FUNCTION getmatchingcompiledplayerresults(int,int,timestamp ,timestamp, int[])
    - ERROR: type "responetype3_response" does not exist
    STATEMENT: DROP TYPE ResponeType3_response

The main one I was told to ask about, was the,
    * - FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets
    as this person told me to contact this forum for an answer maybe.

I have re-installed PostgreSQL application, and is all working again.
    As this wasn't the best outcome to have, I have been rebuilding a new database out of all my backup files. The application I use 'Holdem Manager' store notes on players within the database somewhere.

Would there be anyway of abstracting these notes from my old backed up database, and merging them with new database?

What file type would I be looking for, that would hold these notes within?

Provided Answers: 54
    I've moved this message thread from "Other PC Databases" to the Postgres forum. I also changed the title to make it a bit more descriptive. You ought to have a much better chance of getting usable answers now.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Bump

Thankyou 'Pat'.

Bump, do I need to explain this better? As I don't have much understanding of this application 'PostgreSQL'.

Thankyou.
    Travis J.

you need to make periodic backups of the database. AFAIK, you cannot reliably recover from the database files in the postgres (only) accessible folder.

The errors indicate that (at least) the postgresql configuration had been altered; in particular, the postgresql.conf file. This indicates that you had given a user (other than user postgres,) read-write access to the folder, which is a big security no-no. (For the reasons that you've experienced.) No user other than postgres should have direct access to these folders. If you lock access to the folders to only postgres, then the files could not have been altered externally. Nor should you have been running your apps as an admin user.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by loquin View Post
    you cannot reliably recover from the database files in the postgres (only) accessible folder.

The errors indicate that (at least) the postgresql configuration had been altered; in particular, the postgresql.conf file. This indicates that you had given a user (other than user postgres,) read-write access to the folder, which is a big security no-no. (For the reasons that you've experienced.) No user other than postgres should have direct access to these folders. If you lock access to the folders to only postgres, then the files could not have been altered externally. Nor should you have been running your apps as an admin user.
    I have always had my system setup to administration rights. For all windows applications.
    Is this the answer for my old database. Because I have changed aministration rights for 'postgres' it has destroyed the database or enabled a security issue within the database.

So you think I should delete it and start again, and make backups of it from now on?

I don't think the system has been tampered with. As I think it is just software that has gone wrong, Maybe im not understanding your post.

Can I recover 'notes' from the old postgrSQL "Holdem Mananger Database"?

I'll wait for another reply before proceeding.

Thankyou.

GTR32.

As these setting you are talking about have only been changed since the application 'postgreSQL' crashed (couldn't log on). And only changed 'Postgres' admin rights afterwards. (As I thought it might of been a Windows Update Security Issue).

As I still have access rights to the original database. And have re-installed and started to create a new 'postgres' database.

I haven't had any 'login errors' at all (software issues) since re-install.
    I'll wait for a better descriptive of what has gone wrong.

Thankyou.
    GTR32.