Unanswered: Using Oracle from home

Hey guys, first post here, and Im pretty new to SQL. Im taking a DB class at school, where Oracle is installed. I have access to it at home via telnet, however, I cant seem to be able to save my spooled files onto my computer for printing. I do:

spool c:\test.txt
    Queries
    spool off

but nothing shows up in my c drive. How can I get it saved to my computer?

PS: If it matters, its Oracle8 Release 8.0.6.3.0
    Last edited by Sleight; 04-29-10 at 00:14.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >but nothing shows up
    The files can only be save to DB server system.

display the content of the file then COPY results & PASTE back to your system.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent View Post
    >but nothing shows up
    The files can only be save to DB server system.

display the content of the file then COPY results & PASTE back to your system.
    Hmm ok, thanks for the help. Follow up: I was able to save the spool to a file in the database system and get it back using the

get [file]

command. However, the file printout is bigger than how much the screen can show (its more than 850 lines, the msdos screen is only showing a little less than 300). The rest of the file cannot be seen. Can I make it bigger so I can copy/paste everything?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Can I make it bigger so I can copy/paste everything?
    I don't do Windoze.
    Linux bcm-laptop 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Consider installing Oracle DB on your home PC.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 4
    So adjust the screen! "Properties" are what you are looking for (check the screenshots).

Or, as you have the file on your computer, why would you need to view it in DOS mode? Open it via Windows Explorer in any text editor (Notepad will do).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cp_prop.PNG   cp_prop_2.PNG  

The problem is because you are telneting. In effect your user is on the database server and NOT at home. The server doesn't know what the c: drive is. If you were running using the client on your home machine, the spool would work fine.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

edited: sorry beilstwh, apparently I had a browser window open since morning and didn't see you posted exactly the same ...

Sleight,

to accomplish what you want to do, you need the Oracle Client software on your computer at home.
    SQL*Plus is always spooling, where it executes. If you use it within your telnet session, you are using it on the server you are logged on.

So, if the client SW is running on your side locally, you will get the spool files locally.
    I doubt, however, that the firewall of the school - host is open for all the ports the client uses.

You can download the SW from here:
    Oracle Database Software Downloads

Click at the "see all" link of your platform and download the client or a complete database software for your computer (in nonlegal terms: it's free as long as you don't earn money with it)

In case TNS over to the host is possible, ask your teacher how your tnsnames.ora file should look like, and place it in the /network/admin directory of your ORACLE_HOME.
    Last edited by magicwand; 04-29-10 at 20:32. Reason: apology to beilstwh
    "There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible, and wrong."
    -- H.L. Mencken