Unanswered: Rebind not necessary in this case?

Hello,

I was trying to get two stored procedures that call each other setup. I was recommended to try this out --

1) create TEST1 without the call to TEST2
    2) create TEST2
    3) recreate TEST1 with the call to TEST2
    4) REBIND TEST2

The call to TEST1 worked just fine without executing step 4. In the past, whenever I have dropped any functions / procedures it has marked it as inoperative so I was expecting it to complain this time as well since I dropped and then created TEST1. Do you think that it's necessary to rebind the packages even though it works just fine right now? Is it possible that it might fail someday with the way I have it currently setup? Thanks!

When a dependent object is dropped, then the package using that object is marked as invalid. The next time that package is executed, DB2 attempts an automatic rebind, and if the rebind succeeds everything is fine. If the rebind fails because the dependent object is still missing at auto rebind time, then the package is marked as inoperative, and a manual rebind will need to be performed.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

DB2 attempts an automatic rebind, and if the rebind succeeds everything is fine
    does that mean then the package using that object is marked as valid
    Dick Brenholtz, Ami in Deutschland

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    When a dependent object is dropped, then the package using that object is marked as invalid. The next time that package is executed, DB2 attempts an automatic rebind, and if the rebind succeeds everything is fine. If the rebind fails because the dependent object is still missing at auto rebind time, then the package is marked as inoperative, and a manual rebind will need to be performed.
    Thanks Marcus...I just thought I'd ask since this is the first time I've seen it NOT complain when something was dropped and was wondering if I should rebind it manually just in case it fails in the future. It seems like the automatic rebind worked in this case? Do you recommend performing a manual rebind just to be safe?

Quote Originally Posted by db2user24 View Post
    Thanks Marcus...I just thought I'd ask since this is the first time I've seen it NOT complain when something was dropped and was wondering if I should rebind it manually just in case it fails in the future. It seems like the automatic rebind worked in this case? Do you recommend performing a manual rebind just to be safe?
    As long as it is working, and status of package is not invalid or inoperative, then no manual rebind is necessary. This is a key feature of relational database architecture.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks Marcus.. I will leave it as is since it seems to be working A-ok..