Unanswered: A tool for design difference

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for tool software to see the design differences between two identical databases.

Thank You

Provided Answers: 14
    I don't know if such a program is available somewhere. Personally I've written a set of functions that enumerate the different objects with their properties their values, their controls, etc. in a serial of nested For Each ... loops, the result being exported to an Excel document (see: http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...ing-forms.html to have an idea of how it works). However, if you do not limit the scope of the analysis, it can produce such an amount of data that it's almost unusable. Do you pursue a precise goal?
    Have a nice day!

Sorry, maybe I expressed myself badly. I wanted to design the data structure. I wanted to know if there are differences between the development database and the production that I forgot to bring. Type the length of a text

Tools in Access may be your solution to analyze design differences of two "identical" databases if you can't find the tool you are looking for.

One way is to open the two databases in two sessions of Access, side-by-side on your screen. Open Tools, Analyze, Documenter. Choose the same reporting options for both databases and run the two reports. Visually compare the side-by-side reports to locate the differences.

You can also export the above two reports to text files, then import each one back into a separate table in one database letting Access add a key. Each table will have the primary key field ID of the type AutoNumber, and Field1 should be a Text field. Build a query to find differences. I use Access 2003. Here is code for a query that I tested:
    Code:
    SELECT Doc_rptObjects.ID, Doc_rptObjects.Field1, Doc_rptObjects2.Field1
    FROM Doc_rptObjects INNER JOIN Doc_rptObjects2 ON Doc_rptObjects.ID = Doc_rptObjects2.ID
    WHERE (((Doc_rptObjects.Field1)<>[Doc_rptObjects2]![Field1]));

Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by kiffer View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking for tool software to see the design differences between two identical databases.

Thank You
    There is a tool do do what you want.

Check out the link for CompareEM Lite that can be found here:

Access Developer Tools

You will also find many other great tools to help the Access Developer.

Thank you all, try all...

Quote Originally Posted by kiffer View Post
    Thank you all, try all...
    You're welcome.

Glad we could assist.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11