Unanswered: Newbie with (prob. stupid) question.

Dear all,

Since a couple of weeks, i'm searching for sort of report generator from SQL, and a data-entry form-designer for SQL. What I want:

- User login
    - Per user able to fill in a database (text and images).
    - Store these entry's, and be able to export them (per full database entry) to 1 document.
    - This document sould be a formatted RTF, XML or whatever format that will do a 'merge' from the SQL data.

----
    resume:

Entering data by a user, which will be exported to a preformatted documents.
    ----

Does anyone know where to start? I have a VPS-server (linux hosting with MySql server on it), and want te complete solution to work online.

Maybe there are such packages as opensource?

Thanks in advance for you advise.

Lars

Is there really nobody who can help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by larsvandermade View Post
    Dear all,

Since a couple of weeks, i'm searching for sort of report generator from SQL, and a data-entry form-designer for SQL. What I want:

- User login
    - Per user able to fill in a database (text and images).
    - Store these entry's, and be able to export them (per full database entry) to 1 document.
    - This document sould be a formatted RTF, XML or whatever format that will do a 'merge' from the SQL data.

----
    resume:

Entering data by a user, which will be exported to a preformatted documents.
    ----

Does anyone know where to start? I have a VPS-server (linux hosting with MySql server on it), and want te complete solution to work online.

Maybe there are such packages as opensource?

Thanks in advance for you advise.

Lars

Provided Answers: 54
    There are a number of solutions available. I would start with one of the CMS packages like Drupal, XOOPS, or maybe even Joomla. I've listed those from most powerful/complex to least, but your choice will probably hinge on which one has the content manager that best suits your needs. A CMS provides the webmaster with many prebuilt content managers, and one of them will probably do what you want or very close to it.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat,

Thank you very much for your response! I was already trying joomla/wordpress e.d.. Although I cannot find a module or extension that fits my needs.
    It's not a problem when I have to edit an module, but the only modules I can find are commercial modules. I'd like to pay for it, but for just trying, I cannot buy several packages, knowing most aren't useable.

Do you have any idea?

Provided Answers: 54
    I don't really use Joomla myself. I know that it provides very easy entry, but not a lot of "power" in terms of the ability to customize what is provided or to host significant numbers of users and both of those factors are usually very important to me.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.