Unanswered: Text Box/Combo box visibility

Hi,

I know the code for making a text box visible based on a single combo box choice, but I am trying to figure out who to insert a wild card feature into the command. I need the text box to be visible when any option beginning with the text "fire engine" is chosen. Here is what I have that works:

Me.textbox.visible=me.combobox="fire engine"

I have tried "fire engine *" and "fire engine (*)" to no avail. Any suggestions? Is what I want even possible?

Steph

Quote Originally Posted by SRR View Post
    Hi,

I know the code for making a text box visible based on a single combo box choice, but I am trying to figure out who to insert a wild card feature into the command. I need the text box to be visible when any option beginning with the text "fire engine" is chosen. Here is what I have that works:

Me.textbox.visible=me.combobox="fire engine"

I have tried "fire engine *" and "fire engine (*)" to no avail. Any suggestions? Is what I want even possible?

Steph
    Steph,

Try:

Code:
    Me.textbox.visible= (Instr(me.combobox, "fire engine"))
    or

Code:
    Me.textbox.visible= (Left(me.combobox, 11) = "fire engine")
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Thanks, you're a star! That's why I love this forum, it helps having a new set of eyes on an old problem :-) I hadn't even considered using the Left feature!

Quote Originally Posted by SRR View Post
    Thanks, you're a star! That's why I love this forum, it helps having a new set of eyes on an old problem :-) I hadn't even considered using the Left feature!
    You're welcome!

Glad we could assist.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Ran into another roadblock. Tab 1 has the combo box VEH_TYPE and text box PILOT. Tab 2 has the text box BODY_MANF_NMBR. I need the BODY# to be visible for multiple choices. Here is what I have:

Private Sub VEH_TYPE_AfterUpdate()
    Me.PILOT.Visible = (Left(Me.VEH_TYPE, 11) = "fire engine")
    Me.BODY_MANUF_NMBR.Visible = (Left(Me.VEH_TYPE, 11) = "fire engine")
    Me.BODY_MANUF_NMBR.Visible = (Left(Me.VEH_TYPE, 3) = "c.c.v.")
    End Sub

I swear it worked at first, and then I went to distribute it and of course it decided to only partially work (secretly, I think the program has it out for me...). PILOT is working correctly. BODY_MANF_NMBR is visible when "c.c.v." is chosen, but not when "fire engine" is chosen. As I am still new to this code writing thing, am I missing a phrase/command somewhere?

Thanks in advance :-)
    Last edited by SRR; 05-07-10 at 19:45.